Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Frank & the FXT
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the 02+ line of Subarus and Foresters.

Will wrx struts from all years (02+) fit an 04 Forester or just certain years?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
177 Posts
I don't know, but I know 04 WRX struts fit my 04 Forester. Put it this way, when Subaru changed the Impreza body style from the bugeye to the 04, Subaru only changed the looks of the front of the Impreza. So, I would guess that 02 WRX suspension would work with your 04 Forester. Maybe.

·
Registered
Frank & the FXT
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I'm hoping for, found '02 suspension for less than $150 shipped.

What about rear sway bars?

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Well, they changed the rear strut top in 04 as well as the end of the rod. There are compatibility issues between years. If you have complete units it may not be an issue.

I used to recommend WRX struts as an alternative to STi takeoffs but I believe someone here had issues with the WRX rear spring rate being too soft for a Forester when loaded up.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Scoobyslack said:
That's what I'm hoping for, found '02 suspension for less than $150 shipped.

What about rear sway bars?
Sounds like a good deal but I would be wary of struts this old. There's only one way to find out. The STi rear is a 20MM solid I think and will bolt in but you'll want the chassis mounts also. You can find them cheap new as well as used.

Some members have had problems with the lateral link mount breaking but most of these were at close to stock height.

·
Registered
Frank & the FXT
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NahdaDamdyke said:
Well, they changed the rear strut top in 04 as well as the end of the rod. There are compatibility issues between years. If you have complete units it may not be an issue.
changed in what way?
different diameter? thickness of the 'tophat'?

Not sure if this info was compiled on the old site or not, but it should be here.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
NahdaDamdyke said:

I used to recommend WRX struts as an alternative to STi takeoffs but I believe someone here had issues with the WRX rear spring rate being too soft for a Forester when loaded up.
Isn't that why you would use WRX wagon takeoffs instead?

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
Scoobyslack said:
NahdaDamdyke said:
changed in what way?

Not sure if this info was compiled on the old site or not, but it should be here.
I had been looking into this, and this link should provide some good reading regarding the 02/03 vs 04/05 compatibility concerns.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563382

If you buy the complete 02/03 assemblies inlcuding top mounts, I think you will be good. I would however, be concerned about using the regular sedan springs on the Forester from a rear sag standpoint. The WRX wagon springs would be a good alternative. Just beware though, that you may not want the entire assemblies off of a WRX wagon as the wagons were not the same wide-body set-up as the WRX and there are differences in the strut bolt-hole locations. Heres a link regarding that:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857305

Bottom line is the slight differential in bolt hole locations on the strut body of the WRX wagon struts may result in some odd camber issues when used on a WRX or Forester.

Hope this info helps, and just remember getting a good deal isn't always a good deal. :wink:

Jeff :)

·
Registered
Frank & the FXT
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the info

I heard wagon springs are stiffer.....
I might have found some 04 suspension for cheap

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
N10S said:
Bottom line is the slight differential in bolt hole locations on the strut body of the WRX wagon struts may result in some odd camber issues when used on a WRX or Forester.

Hope this info helps, and just remember getting a good deal isn't always a good deal. :wink:

Jeff :)
This is due to the wagon having a narrower track than the sedan resulting in the inability to get much negative camber.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Scoobyslack said:
changed in what way?

The threaded area on the end of the strut rod in 02-03 has a shank or shoulder below the threads. This is where the top hat sits on. In 04, the threads continued all the way down eliminating the shank portion allowing the hat to sit at the base of the threads. If you're using assemblies then you don't have to worry. It's when you start swapping top hats between years that the problems arise.

·
Registered
Frank & the FXT
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I did some more searching and found 04 wrx struts, tophats and STi springs. I think this will work just fine for me.

thanks for all the help on this :)

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
sirwilliam said:
NahdaDamdyke said:

Isn't that why you would use WRX wagon takeoffs instead?
NahdaDamdyke, that was me. Issue was not struts but springs. However, I think if you use the WRX wagon springs on stock Forester strut you may be better off. The Forester struts are designed for loading more wieght. just my opinion.

sirwilliam, I did use WRX wagon springs but it wasn't stiff enough. Great upgrade but sucked for loading weight above ~ 200 lbs.

This thread explains it all. My post if the 5th one down.

http://subaruforester.org/viewtopic.php?t=157

For those wanting to run WRX takeoffs, I highly recommend WRX sedan struts. The WRX wagon struts have a narrower stance and will cause camber issues. I currently have GR2 struts specific for the WRX sedan on WRX wagons springs right now. The WRX wagon springs are good but still too soft when weight is loaded in the rear. I ordered a set of Swift Sport Mach springs specific for the WRX wagon to replace my WRX wagon stock springs. The Swift wagon springs rates are equal to soft "pinks" in front but higher in the rear.

Swift Sport Mach - wagons springs

4F003 MY02-03 WRX Wagon (GGA)
Drop - F:-30mm, R:-15mm
Rate - F:3.3kg/mm, R:2.9kg/mm

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Or you might consider running any number of upgrades for WRXs like Swift, Tanabe, WRX pinks etc. Check out DOHcammins ride in the silver gallery. It sits nice but I think he's on STi takeoffs which have firmer dampening than the WRX. Good luck. You'lll be in love with your car all over again.

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
bland said:
tre36 - Do you have a link for those springs. I've never heard or seen them before.

Bland...
I ordered a set yesterday. Should receive them early next week. I never heard of Swift either until I started researching for a set of aftermarkets springs with minimal drop and higher spring rates to replace my stock WRX wagon springs. Swift springs are made by Tohatsu Spring Corporation of Japan - a reputable name in the market.

Ordered from:
www.mann-engineering.com (free shipping)

http://www.mann-engineering.com/products/product.asp?cid=&ID=82

Info:

http://www.swiftsprings.com/

Rates in lbs/in should be 258/230ish F/R.
Ride drop from WRX height is 1"/.06" F/R

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been reading everthing that has been posted on Forester Suspension, but a lot of it is confusing. From what I can understand a nice set up is
US WRX Sedan Struts and WRX Wagon Springs, which I believe will give me the height I want. But there is still some concern on the Wagon Springs being a lower Lb than the Foresters (144 v 157) So an option is to use aftermarketr springs like these swifts, but If I don't want to lower my Forester any further (than the WRX set up)with the Swift Lowering springs, are there any other springs with the close to the same rear weight of the forester without gowing lower?

Thanks
Dog

If you use WRX Struts and the Swift Springs how low will your forester sit?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts