Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2006 FXT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have '07 WRX struts, WRX wagon pink springs, and STI RSB. The handling is great and the ride is fine for me. But with my wife and son sitting in the back, the ride is to too bouncy over bumpy roads or washboard pavement. Also, on sharp dips, I think the rear rebounds too quickly and it feels like your spine is being compressed which is uncomfortable, even for me at times. The ride height I am at now is perfect, so I would like to keep it close if possible.

I am looking to change my set-up a bit and would like suggestions or comments. I am thinking my options are:

1) Get softer springs that are somewhere between the STI and stock WRX rates. It seems that WRX Swifts and a few other brands have springs that are in this category. One problem with this seems to be that they lower the car too much (and decrease shock travel). Spacers all around would help with being too low.

2) Go to stock WRX springs. This would provide the best ride but I think they would be too soft for me. If I go this route, I would consider upgrading the front and rear sway bars if it wouldn't degrade the ride too much.

3) Upgrade the struts to Tokiko D-spec or KYB AGX. This would help dampen the bounciness but I don't know if or how much they would improve the ride (I think the improvement would have to be significant for me to go this route due to the cost).

I don't track the car, I am looking for a good handling daily driver that's fun in the twisties. And I hate body roll.

Let me know what you think or if I missed anything.

Thanks for your help.

Sean

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I'd go with the d-specs. Struts that are actually matched to the springs will give a -much- better ride than on underdamped struts.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
If you decide to sell the springs, I'm interested pending the price. You could switch to softer WRX springs, they will be a better match for the WRX struts than the STi-rate springs.

Stan

·
Registered
05 XTi FMIC
2,564 Posts
STi springs on KYB GR-2s and wife/son love them.

·
Registered
2002 Forester
428 Posts
D-Specs.

It's just that stock WRX springs are really not vastly stiffer then a stock Forester or base Impreza. STI springs are very good as a sport upgrade and are pretty much as stiff as you want to go before you really start sacrificing daily ride comfort significantly(depends upon the road conditions where you live). However, you do need to support the spring and mass(car) configuration with appropriate damper rates(not stock, not WRX struts) or you get a bounce that never goes away as you have found out. The only solution is more damping and the D-Spec is one of the best options and yes the price difference from the AGX is worth it.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,296 Posts
D-Specs are a bit of overkill for just stock STI springs though :\ I mean, they'll definitely give you awesome adjustability, but for the money spent, you might as well compromise with either AGXs or GR2s (might not even be sufficient but this is subjective) or just change to softer springs.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Changing to softer springs would be the cheapest way to go. For a more expensive alternative, you also have the option of Koni inserts into your strut housings, those are $600 for a set at tire rack.

Stan

·
Registered
2009 Ralliart SST
231 Posts
will the swift springs and tokico d-spec struts work well together? i see that the d-specs from tic isn't forester specific so will the 04 sti fit? do i need to get Scooby921 Strut spacers like it says on the website?

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
The Forester-specific Swifts should not be used with Impreza d-spect. The STi springs you have will work. If the d-specs are made for '02-'03 Impreza, you will need TiC spacers.

Stan

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
I have KYB AGX, STi pink wagon springs with group n front & rear top hats. I love the ride.Super smooth & not bouncy at all.

I am bumbed I will be pulling it all off as it will not work with my 05 STi hubs. Will be up forsale soon. I now have the 2nd set of Eibach Coilovers released for the 05+ STi...

joe r

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have KYB AGX, STi pink wagon springs with group n front & rear top hats. I love the ride.Super smooth & not bouncy at all.

I am bumbed I will be pulling it all off as it will not work with my 05 STi hubs. Will be up forsale soon. I now have the 2nd set of Eibach Coilovers released for the 05+ STi...

joe r
Joe, I could be interested in your used goods. Might you shoot me some specifics and perhaps a photo showing it's stance. Would appreciate it. Cheers, Brian.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
Pm sent...

joe r

·
Registered
2005 5MT Legacy GT Wagon
55 Posts
STi springs on KYB GR-2s and wife/son love them.
I actually really didn't like this combination- it felt OK in normal driving, but always felt 'jouncy'- underdamped. Lots of body roll on turn-in, and not a lot of control on uneven freeway sections, etc. I should qualify that I was on STi Forester pinks, so you may be a bit different in rate.

I swapped the springs over to Koni's in Impreza housings, and it's a 100% improvement- I'm about 0.75 turns from full soft in the front, and 1 turn in the rear for smooth daily driving. Perfectly damped and controlled, and no crazy roll feeling in cornering. It just feels composed.

I did an auto-x last weekend and turned the struts up to 1.5 turns from full soft in the front, and full stiff (2 turns from full soft) in the rear. For the street this would have been overdamped, but the course was smooth so I turned up the damping to help keep the roll down on turn-in with the relatively soft spring rate of the Pinks for the very tight course. One of the senior members rode along and as I went into the first slalom he said 'Wow, I was expecting a ton more roll in this thing!'

I still want to bump the spring rates up a bit, as well as fix the uneven fender gap (it has an even ride height, but I like the even gap/slightly raked look), but for now it's tolerable.

I think the STi Pinks just overpower a stock-ish strut like the GR2... in fact, it's the reason I own my FXT. The previous owner put the Pinks/GR-2s on, and it was his wife's daily driver- he said she hated it, as it was too bouncy, so they ended up selling it :)banana:).

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
Joe, I could be interested in your used goods. Might you shoot me some specifics and perhaps a photo showing it's stance. Would appreciate it. Cheers, Brian.
Me too! :biggrin: Especially some pics.

TIA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts