Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if "wrx struts+sti springs" would fit on my car. The tires I have are 215/60 R16 Michelin Pilots. Here are some pictures of the tires with my current STOCK suspension. And Do you think there will be much rub? I already checked the Wheel/Tire thread and looked at the attached document on the suspension+wheel combination information gathered, and I didn't see the same wheel size+suspension that I want to run.

Front:

Rear:

·
Registered
04 FXT, 61 Stude
1,742 Posts
Oh ya you'll have room. I run a 215/65/16 studded tire winter setup and I've never had any rubbing issues. Oh, and I run a wrx strut/'05 STI spring combo. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
764 Posts
Just my suggestion...but consider sticking with stock WRX strut spring combo or go for an STI strut spring combo. The STI springs with WRX struts won't actually handle as well...IMHO (and experience).

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
STi springs are too stiff to run with WRX struts, they won't control the spring and the ride and handling will both be worse than a matched combo of WRX or STi bits....

Simon

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
STi springs are too stiff to run with WRX struts, they won't control the spring and the ride and handling will both be worse than a matched combo of WRX or STi bits....

Simon
So basically by worse you're saying that this suspension setup will just feel stiff?

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Yes please clarify. I'm running Crucials which are = to STI pinks on 06 WRX struts (got these because I didn't want to deal with 04 STI strut repacking if it clunks.. and there's no low mileage ones around here) and it feels fine to me. But I may not be the best judge because I've never rode in a STI strut + STI spring Forester yet.

Crucials are 257F/217R so technically I am underdampened and should be bouncing around all the time.. which it doesn't..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These WRX Struts & STi springs used to be on my brothers 07 XT until he got coilovers, and the suspension setup felt fine to me. It was obviously stiffer than any stock forester suspension haha, but nothing to where I didn't like it, so It felt fine. I guess it's all personal preference.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Yeah, that and potential premature strut failure. I planned on going Koni inserts eventually, but would like that to be a good 100k miles or so from now. :p

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
Just my suggestion...but consider sticking with stock WRX strut spring combo or go for an STI strut spring combo. The STI springs with WRX struts won't actually handle as well...IMHO (and experience).

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

Simon
My STi springs feel great on my WRX-spec KYB GR-2's... which are said to have slightly more dampening than stock WRX struts.
No bounciness or anything...

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
See here's the problem. Everyone always talks about unmatched dampening to spring rates but nobody can ever specify the range of spring rates we can match the struts for that "good ride." I guess it's all subjective too. I'm going to see if stan has time this thanksgiving so i can feel some konis matched with sti springs and have him judge my ride quality.

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
6,091 Posts
I have WRX struts and STi springs on the Foz now. I've drive in both STi/STi and WRX/WRX combos. I honestly think I like my setup better than both. The STi/STi was bouncy and felt uncontrolled, the WRX/WRX felt too soft and wallowed. The setup I have now feels just right, though right at the cusp of underdampened.

As for clearance, you will be fine. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
With dampers not valved strong enough to control the stiffer spring, when you hit a bump mid-corner your wheel may spend more time in the air than with a strut that has higher compression and rebound. Your car will bounce up rather than absorbing the shock. But if it works, it works.

Stan

·
Registered
2001 Forester STi 2M
16 Posts
With dampers not valved strong enough to control the stiffer spring, when you hit a bump mid-corner your wheel may spend more time in the air than with a strut that has higher compression and rebound. Your car will bounce up rather than absorbing the shock. But if it works, it works.

Stan
Only if to go on equal road :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,212 Posts
STI springs on WRX struts were a popular cost effective upgrade. Kinda like putting Swifts on Forester struts.

Unfortunately with the passing years I'm sure the effective life of most WRX take offs as well as pre '05 STI struts are getting close to their end.

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
6,091 Posts
STI springs on WRX struts were a popular cost effective upgrade. Kinda like putting Swifts on Forester struts.
Very effective and cheap. I got my struts and springs locally for $150. Struts and springs had < 20K. I sold my Swifts alone for more than that.
The difference between this setup and the Swifts is more dramatic than stock to Swifts.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts