Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

WRX struts/springs quick question

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  The Black Box 
#1 ·
I looked around but was having a tough time finding a quick answer for this question.
If you lower a forester (2005 2.5x) with WRX struts and WRX or STI springs as well as removing all the body lift spacers (subframe spacers) will the geometry be pretty close to stock?

Also, has anyone pulled the spacers for the transmission mount on a 4EAT transmission? What would be required?

Thanks!

#3 · (Edited)
I was thinking of this last night since I'm in the middle of planning out my spring swap. It seems like a lot of work, although, I really don't know how many spacers there are to remove. It's something to look at. Maybe, swap out with half thick or preffered size bushings for us low guys.

Subscribed...

The idea is that your unibody is suspended on bushings over your subframe. Removing or replacing the bushings with thinner ones will angle the lat links back up.

I see an opportunity here Brad (Subtle) unless subie roo plans on going after this...

#5 ·
The imprezas don't have the spacers between the subframe and body like the forester does. I know they can be removed, and then the subframe bolts right up with them out and with shorter bolts. I've not seen it done with a 4EAT and that's where I'm unsure.
I'm also not sure how it affects angles, I would assume that by raising the subframe back you will get the stock impreza geometry.

#6 ·
You can't remove the subframe spaces on a 4eat, the transmission will hit the firewall.

The only way to really get the geometry "right" is with a roll center kit (ball joint and tie rod extenders). However with the 2.5" drop of the wrx suspension, it doesn't actually throw you off THAT much. You'll just need a good alignment to get the camber and toe back in a range you want. With wrx suspension the suspension arms are still angled downward away from the car. I think STI ride height would put them about parallel, and any lower than that would really need some sort of BJE (theres not much you can do in the rear, there aren't any spacers between the subframe that the lateral links bolt to and the body)

#8 ·
I'll just note that I found the wrx stuff to not really be as stiff as I was hoping. Unless you can find a set of takeoffs cheap, you might want to look into the swift springs that fit on the stock forester struts or something closer to STI stiffness that retains WRX ride height (I like the height that the stock wrx stuff gives, but its difficult to find aftermarket springs that keep that height, most seem to lower an additional .75-1.5 inches)

#9 ·
Agreed, it took me ages to find springs when I had my WRX that didn't drop it to far. That's why I ended up with my foz, my wrx was far to low. I miss the turbo though and the handling and that's why I'm thinking about lowering again.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.