Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have just been offered a set of 05 WRX sedan struts c/w springs for my '05 XT. They have about 15K miles on them & the price is good.

If I buy them, I will swap the WRX sedan rear springs for 2 of the longer rear wagon springs with 144lbs spring rate.

BUT

I really need to get a clear idea on the problem some people report with this combo. REAR END SAG!

For instance, in April I will be hauling 4 adults, (inc. me), dog & the usual holiday baggage some 500 miles point to point. Some of the junk will be in a roof box but a fair bit in the trunk.

Will I have the rear end bottoming out over every bump & pothole or should I be okay?

If you have this exact same setup, your feedback would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ian :help1:

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
I had a similiar setup with 02-03 WRX wagon springs. It was a very nice setup but not for loading. I had 300 lbs in the cargo and the rear end sagged severly. I don't have any pics but rear tires and splash guards were scraping all over the place. Simply put, the car was riding on bump stops in the rear. I don't recommend the WRX Wagon setup for anyone concern with loading. The rear springs rates at 144 lbs/in is too low and I found out the hard way.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/forums/showthread.php?t=783

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tre36,

Many thanks for your feedback, that's what I wanted to know. Thanks also for the link, I was searching for that posting earlier today but couldn't find it.

For our occasional long trips, say 8 or 10 times a year - it would be a real pain not to be able to load the car to capacity so I guess I will have to pass on the struts, (bugger). If only there was a WRX rear spring with a higher spring rate that did not also lower the car even further. Ah well, back to the D.B.

Cheers,

Ian :(

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the suggestion of WRX Wagon STi Pinks. I have looked at this a bit more closely.

The spring rates look ideal at 223 Front & 195 Rear & Northwest Tan reports good control with comfortable ride.

But I have just been measuring my clearances and comparing to Northwest Tan's figures. On my car, if I got the same clearance it would mean my car had dropped 3-5/8" at the front & 3-1/4 at the rear.

I am tempted but that's too much for my kind of usage. :(

If only the ride height stayed the same as using stock WRX Wagon springs, I would go this way, no question!

Ian

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
2,076 Posts
Forestier said:
Thanks guys for the suggestion of WRX Wagon STi Pinks. I have looked at this a bit more closely.

The spring rates look ideal at 223 Front & 195 Rear & Northwest Tan reports good control with comfortable ride.

But I have just been measuring my clearances and comparing to Northwest Tan's figures. On my car, if I got the same clearance it would mean my car had dropped 3-5/8" at the front & 3-1/4 at the rear.

I am tempted but that's too much for my kind of usage. :(

If only the ride height stayed the same as using stock WRX Wagon springs, I would go this way, no question!

Ian
Not sure if it makes a difference, but NWTan is using WRX Wagon struts with the wagon pinks. The drop with the stock FXT struts and the wagon pinks may not be quite as bad.

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
silverxt said:
Not sure if it makes a difference, but NWTan is using WRX Wagon struts with the wagon pinks. The drop with the stock FXT struts and the wagon pinks may not be quite as bad.
There is or was a member from the old SF.com forum who used the stock struts from his '03 X with '04 WRX Wagon Pinks and it dropped the car 2 inches. I can't remember his name but he had a green Forester with 18" wheels. Looks really good and he stated it felt much better than stock WRX Wagon take offs. Don't know if he is lurking here on the new site.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
I have been looking to stabilize the suspension but I definitely don't want to drop the car. If anything, I would rather raise it:grin:

I am going to look into bigger sway bars to help me attain my goal of less body lean but no loss in ride height. The problem is that I don't know exactly what that (bigger sway bars) will accomplish and what else I wil have to change to do that. I may post a new message here soon.

H

·
0 Posts
tre36 said:
There is or was a member from the old SF.com forum who used the stock struts from his '03 X with '04 WRX Wagon Pinks and it dropped the car 2 inches. I can't remember his name but he had a green Forester with 18" wheels. Looks really good and he stated it felt much better than stock WRX Wagon take offs. Don't know if he is lurking here on the new site.
I was posting at the wrong section, mistake for a newbie. :-?

Would be interested to know for my 98 Forester, upto what year WRX struts can I use.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Just brainstorming but is there any change a legacy would make spring that would fit.

Since it's a full size station wagon I imagine it would have the rear much stiffer than the wrx wagon springs.

Any thoughts?

Bland...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I did the wagon spring swap with the longer rear springs, and its ok but I am looking for a more raked look, so I orderd Forester sti rear springs to go with my wrx fronts. I am going to put the new rears on tomorrow I will let you Know how it looks. I know I will be able to carry as much weight as I want with this set up. Don't know how the spring rate combo is going to effect handling with out a full matched set of Forester STI's, I will let you Know.

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
764 Posts
Forestier said:
Hi,

I have just been offered a set of 05 WRX sedan struts c/w springs for my '05 XT. They have about 15K miles on them & the price is good.

If I buy them, I will swap the WRX sedan rear springs for 2 of the longer rear wagon springs with 144lbs spring rate.

BUT

I really need to get a clear idea on the problem some people report with this combo. REAR END SAG!

For instance, in April I will be hauling 4 adults, (inc. me), dog & the usual holiday baggage some 500 miles point to point. Some of the junk will be in a roof box but a fair bit in the trunk.

Will I have the rear end bottoming out over every bump & pothole or should I be okay?

If you have this exact same setup, your feedback would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ian :help1:
To me, it sounds like you need to get a full takeoff set of JDM Forester STI springs/struts. Minimal drop and much improved handling, especially if combined with larger sway bars. It isn't the most economical but would likely be more functional if you want good ground clearance. You might be able to pick them up from another person here or at www.jdmpartstx.com.

Good luck,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
764 Posts
sunnyside said:
I did the wagon spring swap with the longer rear springs, and its ok but I am looking for a more raked look, so I orderd Forester sti rear springs to go with my wrx fronts. I am going to put the new rears on tomorrow I will let you Know how it looks. I know I will be able to carry as much weight as I want with this set up. Don't know how the spring rate combo is going to effect handling with out a full matched set of Forester STI's, I will let you Know.
This just doesn't sound like a good idea. "Raked look" = bad handling on most cars and definitely on a Subaru. There is a reason that most people buy springs in sets of 4, because they are designed to be used together.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all for the suggestions here.

The JDM Forester STi full strut/spring swap is certainly worth checking out & there may just be a used set available in the UK in the next few months.

Ian :)

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Hi Ian..
As you know I had Simons Forester STi Struts and Springs put on yesterday at Powerstation along with a 22mm Whiteline ARB.

It's a bit early to say but for me the change isn't that dramatic. I've heard that the 06 was improved over previous models so maybe that's part of it. Initial impressions are that turn in is sharper, ride is virtually unchanged, the car corners very neutrally but still a bit wallowy, feels still a bit unconnected with the road and not as planted as I had hoped and not on a par with my WRX with prodrive springs. Looks a whole lot better though ! - will get some pics up this weekend.

Simons car though with the AST's is a completely different experience. Even in the short drive I had it felt absolutely glued to the floor. The ride as well was firm but I didn't think at all harsh or crashy. Well worth considering if you can stretch to it especially at the group buy price at the moment.
I'm gonna get my engine work done first but I'll probably get the AST's at some point in the future..

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Pete,

The ASTs sound really promising & with the power you will have after the engine mods I would think it essential that you tighten up the handling. Are there any recommended spring upgrades for your new struts?

Last October, I test drove the 06 2.5 XT back to back with the 2.0 XT. The 06 went like a rocket, (apart from the going up in the air bit), it felt very quick. I was less happy with the handling though; around the Hampshire lanes it felt like the engine was in charge of the car, (if that makes sense), scarey at full chat!

The 2.0 XT was naturally slower in a straight line but the handling felt more of a match for the available power which gave more confidence & similar point to point journey times. Still lots of room for improvement though!

Ian :)

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Ian - you're dead right - that's the reason I've been spending the money on brakes / handling before going for the big power. My worry is still that after the drive home last night that the Fsti take offs are probably ok for the 230 I have now but I'm not sure I'm gonna be happy with them with another 100bhp !
I think you can get a further spring upgrade for them but I'm thinking best to go straight to the coilovers..
Pete

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Yep, the Fsti's are making that consistently at Powerstation with just a filter/Miltek exhaust and remap. I'll need a new turbo as well (already got a new VF39 lined up) and probably a fuel pump, maybe a bigger top mount..

Simons car is running 338 and was a beast I can tell you :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts