Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experience this swap with the front rotors and caliper brackets from the WRX to the SF? I'm looking to hear some opinions on it and whether or not it's even worth doing. Also, anyone have the part numbers for the swap?

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
I did, and it's a huge improvement. However, I also did aftermarket pads at the same time... could be more of the pads than the size.

Fade seems to be lessened, FWIW, but I don't really beat on my brakes.

I have plain jane solid rotors, and hawk HPS pads.

for the cost of parts (the calipers and the caliper carriers + rotors + pads - $225 in total) I think it was worth it.

Just buy takeoffs from a nasioc member, or over at clubWRX. Not sure of the part numbers for the caliper carriers (I think you can re-use your existing calipers, but once I had everything off, I figured - get new ones, they had 10k on them, instead of the 70k on mine) but it's a pretty easy swap.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Your SF front calipers are the same as the first year '02 WRX calipers so you only need the '02 WRX caliper brackets and rotors to do the front swap. You will also need change to 16" wheels if you have the 15" steelies on your SF.

If you have an S model with the rear discs and 16" wheels already then the front swap gets you to WRX level brakes by itself. If you have L model rear drums then you'll need to find some donor rear bearing carriers (knuckles), caliper brackets, rotors, calipers, hoses and e-brake cables to complete the conversion.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not big on the idea of buying used rotors. I can see buying the brackets used but most of the guys over there are getting rid of the entire caliper assembly and I don't need it. Also, I have some Suby bucks to burn and figured this would be a nice way to do it. I guess I could just follow these part numbers.....
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I bought a set of takeoff discs and caliper brackets from an FXT (from Pleaid7). The fronts bolted right onto my MY02 S model. The rear rotors and brackets were identical to what I already had. It was a noticeable difference, a bit less pedal pressure required, and less fading.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's exactly what I need, but I don't think kastles korner takes Suby bucks. So, it's to the dealer for me. I don't think the price is to big of a difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts