Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
05's XT/GT
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently running wrx sedan struts and springs. I don't have many complaints about the ride and handling in general, but when we travel (which is often) the rear sags a little when the car is loaded with all our gear. This spring I plan to upgrade to KYB AGX struts, and I would also like to replace the rear springs with wrx wagon units as they are a little stiffer and a little longer.

My question is this; which wrx spring is longer the left rear or right? I know they are different left to right on the wrx. There was a thread on the old site explaining this completely, where someone used 2 wrx springs of the longer variety on their suspension (this works because the FXT uses the same spring on both sides).

Any insight on this is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
05's XT/GT
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying.

Are you using springs off a 4eat or 5spd? I think the member who posted this info on the old site had similar issues with cargo, and solved it using specific wagon springs. Your right, I think he used 4eat wagon springs.

I thought about going with aftermarket wrx springs like the prodrives or swifts, but I really don't want to lower the car any more than it is now. I travel a lot up to CT, MA, and NH, and the ground clearance I have now is good on some of the back roads up there and when it snows.

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
jevans, I am currently using MT WRX Wagons springs. I know what you mean about ride height. I love how the Forester sits on WRX takeoffs but I want stiffer springs then what the WRX wagon springs offer. I regular load up the cargo and the WRX wagons springs still do not cut it.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,251 Posts
I'm running two 20380FE140 rear springs and I'm not having any sagging issues when loaded.

·
Registered
2004 SG5 FXT
66 Posts
i assume this is true (about the but sag part) for the wrx wagon Sti springs (pinkies), with stock SG5 shocks?

F

·
0 Posts
SuperRu said:
I'm running two 20380FE140 rear springs and I'm not having any sagging issues when loaded.

Which struts are you using? Were they a direct bolt on?

·
admin
7,251 Posts
FXT said:
FXT struts.
Yes, they are a direct bolt on.

·
Registered
111 Posts
SuperRu said:
FXT said:
FXT struts.
Yes, they are a direct bolt on.

Ok,

You are using FXT struts (basically SG Forester Struts) and WRX wagon front springs and the 4eat WRX wagon rear (longer of the 2) springs?

If so, is that not a little hard on the struts?

thanks

·
admin
7,251 Posts
steeter said:
You are using FXT struts (basically SG Forester Struts) and WRX wagon front springs and the 4eat WRX wagon rear (longer of the 2) springs?

If so, is that not a little hard on the struts?

thanks
I'm actually using 04 WRX sedan springs in the front, they are the same as wagon ones. You can pick them up for dirt cheap.
Only time will tell for sure how durable this combination is. I've only had them on for a year and a half. But I'm not too worried. The drop is a modest 1 1/2" front 1 3/8" rear. Also, the spring rates are relatively mild compared to some like the STi ones.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts