Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A deal has crept up on me for a set of WRX OEM Struts/Springs off an 07 with 35k miles on them, my odo reads 100,000+ miles right now, so a fresh set of legs can't hurt for not much $$$.

Wadejg's comprehensive post about better handling details that wrx suspension setups are bolt on upgrades for my generation of Forester (04 XT) offering a 2.5" drop all around, my vertigo would be alleviated by this.

I have read about 'saggy butt' if wagon vs sedan rear strut/spring combos are not used, or using spacers to even out the butt sag if a sedan setup is used. If the sag is noticeable I can grab some spacers and insert them as requried yes?

The seller also has the OEM 07 WRX front and rear swaybars with the endlinks and mounts too. Has anyone with experience of the OEM strut/spring swap got some advice for the swaybar/endlinks/bushings? Should I do the bars etc at the same time or can I stick with the current Forester stock swaybar/endlink/bushing setup both front and rear for now as I have heard WRX RSB's can break items if endlinks/lateral arms etc are not beefed up at the same time?

Maybe I am better off grabbing the struts/springs and waiting until I find an 04 sti RSB with fresh endlinks and bushings and swapping everything out in one big swap? Or is it safe to swap items piecemeal as I locate them?

Looking around at different peoples setups I'm pretty confident that my upgrade path would be WRX OEM sedan struts/springs up front, OEM wagon WRX struts/springs in the rear (no butt sag), OEM 04 WRX STI rear sway bar with aftermarket bushing/endlinks from Kartboy/Whiteline. Sound good?

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
For the rear, the sedan struts would be better than wagon. Reason is the wagon's track is smaller, using rear wagon struts will result in a good amount of negative camber in the rear.

Wagon rear springs would be nice, but you can use spacers with sedan springs to raise the rear a bit.

I don't think the stock non-STi WRX bars will fit our cars.

Stan

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Stan, I'll leave the swaybars for the time being until I find an 04 Sti setup for the underpinnings as your thoughts seem to reflect the info I've read around. Bring on a weekend of wrenching and dropping.

Any good recommendations for spacer suppliers for the rears? Im assuming the usual suspects, kartboy/whitelnes/other?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts