Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not for all model years, but that sucks. They list the 08' WRX, 05' LGT, 08' LGT, and 08' OBXT. Full list here: http://home.comcast.net/~apexigsx/avoid.jpg

I was starting to get a little paranoid after reading about all the blown turbos on 05 LGTs.. and now I really am paranoid. If my stock VF40 goes, I'm going big 16G or 18G...

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
I completely agree, even more I think everyone who owns these models
should put them up for sale right away.. probably have to give them away..
infact I would even find it in my heart to adopt these 'misfits' :biggrin:

cn; CR is for suckers who don't deserve Subarus anyways.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha, it's from the April 2010 issue, hence the date.. Most magazine companies put out issues a month ahead of time. That is kinda confusing though.

Duder, I lol'd when I read the part about not enough toyotas on the list. That is quite true. Avoid anything Chevy it looks like.. but we already knew that.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,365 Posts
Consumer's Reports are a bunch of tools... That list was made in the future, and doesn't have enough Toyota's on it!
This part is just too funny. :lol:

I don't read CR, or any other mag really. All data gathering & research is by way of the net. I dunno why, but I'm still cracking up. haha

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
471 Posts
clearly every single turbo Subaru owner who was polled by Consumer Reports failed to change their oil every 3,750 miles or less. those are the only people i ever see with blown turbos so i don't think the issue is with Subaru so much as with the owners.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didnt they make a TSB about a drain line or something to "help" with the blown turbo problems?
There are the TSBs about the replacing or cleaning the oil supply screen in the banjo bolt and reminding people to change their oil every 3750 miles. I'll likely just remove my screens all together. I change my oil religiously every 3K miles.

There's also the issue of oil pickup tube failures: Oil pickup tube failures - important! - Subaru Legacy Forums but AFAIK SOA still hasn't issued an official TSB about it.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
72 Posts
Haha...consumer reports. This is why they made the 3.0r available...people don't wanna do scheduled maintenance on a turbo engine and wonder why things go wrog.

Same stuff with the VW 1.8t engine.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
55 Posts
th'05 turbos were a problem

to the poster who accused owners of failing to change the oil every 3750. I changed the oil in my '05 LGT every 3000 miles from new. The turbo failed at 51,000 miles. I had to provide every single oil change receipt (thank God for an organized wife), but I ended up with a rebuilt engine courtesy of SOA. I would avoid the first year turbos unless you remove the screen in the banjo bolt to the turbo line.

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tacoma DCSB Auto
1,944 Posts
ive never trusted CR for car stuff, they trashed the reputation of the suzuki samurai when they purposely tried to filp it

·
Registered
2004 FORESTER XT AUTOMATIC
187 Posts
thats why you dont see CR drivers on the track anywhere else in the world.. They belong on the street with suckers dont know how to drive...

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,892 Posts
I'll catch flak for this, but it might be CR's way of saying that it's more likely that turbo-Subies have been abused. Certainly not by any of our members, of course.

·
Registered
2004 FORESTER XT AUTOMATIC
187 Posts
only thing funny about this list is 08 outback xt, but not 08 legacy gt. Dont they come from the same factory, and use the same engine and turbo design and parts?

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,512 Posts
Dude! The 2008 WRX is the one to avoid. Less power, softer suspension, and none of the bodywork that is now standard on the 2009 and later cars.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
I listed my LGt for sale on auto trader about a week ago. I have recieved 8-10 emails on it, and one guy came for a test drive then tried to low ball me. I also have my oil changed every 3k since it was brand new. I do this on both of my subies.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
18 Posts
I owned air cooled VWs for many years, both stock and highly modified. Lots of folks said back then the VW had oiling problems, or would get too hot and the oil breaks down. An aircraft mechanic recommended I go with synthetic oil for better cold starts and better flow & high temp characteristics. I started using synthetic aircraft oil in my beetles long before Mobil 1 and have used synthetics in every vehicle (stock, hotrods, steetrods) since. I have put 200,000 miles on several vehicles (72 VW Camper; Mazda; Ford Ranger) with no engine problems. I'll put synthetic and a K&N filter in my 2010 Forester with the first oil change and change the oil every 3500 miles. Started using K&N back in the 70's when I replaced the carbs on the camper with a Holley-Weber. Clean air and clean oil are cheap insurance. Oh, and as for the abuse factor. If you allow your teenage son to drive your turbo, abuse WILL result. Buy the little darling his own cheap transportation and let it get abused.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts