Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
MY07 XT
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a February minus any motorsport it was time to get back out there. I had just installed my new brakes and was all set for Round 1 of the WRX v EVO Challenge at Jacks Hillclimb Circuit. I've never done this before so I had two goals which were to not bin it and to try and go sub 60sec which will earn you some respect. I managed a 60.9 on my practice run which got me thinking it was going to be a piece of cake but then I got all revved up and on my 3 first runs I drove like I had stolen my car which made me slower ( around the 61sec mark ). On the last run of the day I drove nice and smooth and busted out a 59.08sec so I was stoked. There is definetly another couple of seconds in there once I get my head around the tarck. Car performed fantastic, just need to stop driving like a ***** :lol:
The big boys come outto play at these events with the winner cracking out a 52.69 in a race prepped GC8.
Some Pics

And my Favourite. Hard on the brakes, coming down the hill. Glad I haven't got a front lip :icon_eek:

Other Cars

Final Placings. Always good to be above a few WRXs and EVOs :cool:
http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/results.cgi?20/03/2010.JACK.Q2
59.08 secs of madness!
The more I watch it the more I think there is a 57 in her.

Cheers,

Burke.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
yea street pads and the track are never a good idea, subies eat them up! especially the hps', those dtc you got on the other hand are perfect!

love your setup, the ducting is awesome also!

·
Registered
MY07 XT
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea street pads and the track are never a good idea, subies eat them up! especially the hps', those dtc you got on the other hand are perfect!
Yeah, I was just a bit worried about the first corner, as you can tell by the skid marks going into the bush..
This is what happened last year

I get to test the DTCs out on Thursday night:cool:

·
Registered
MY07 XT
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pretty sobering eh!
The biggest thing holding me back was the fact that I hadn't done the course before. I'd watched 1000 runs on YouTube but it just doesn't give you an idication of how steep the hill is and where the turn in points are.
Can't wait for next time !

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Pretty sobering eh!
The biggest thing holding me back was the fact that I hadn't done the course before. I'd watched 1000 runs on YouTube but it just doesn't give you an idication of how steep the hill is and where the turn in points are.
Can't wait for next time !
Thats an understatement.

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Nice pic's. Glad you had fun. Somewhat surprised that you had problems w/ the brakes on a 60 second course. How much speed do you have to scrub in the brake zones? (ie: 100mph to 30mph stops, or is it less than that).

Admittedly you state that you possibly overdrove the car, do you think that contributed?

·
Registered
MY07 XT
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To be honest it was only this section of the ( about 45-50 sec of the vid ) where you are coming down the hill doing a bit over 100km/hr and then its almost a hair pin to come back up the hill. The brakes had great initial bite but what I think is due to speed, gradient of the hill and the fact that the Foz weighs about 1500kg with me in it they started to turn to mush. You can tell by the photos that there is a heap of weight going into the front suspension on all the cars and I think that took the brakes over the edge.
I was in two mind about which pads to use and actually went and did some hard braking exercises with the streets in and it pulled up well, I just think I underestimated the course more than anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts