·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,724 Posts

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,734 Posts
I ordered some wrinkle paint to paint up some stuff under the hood. I was thinking of painting the tmic including the fins. Would this cause problems?
NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

You want the thinest coat of paint possible for the intercooler. A textured wrinkle finish is thick, and it'll get in between the fins, drastically reducing its efficiency of being able to pass air through it. Theres another member on here that did the wrinkle on a FMIC and you can tell from the pics that it's all stuck in-between the fins and clogged up.

Spray it with a very thin coat of satin-black engine block paint if you wish, but don't touch textured or do any thick coats. You can texture the outer portions, but the fins need the thinest coat possible.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,734 Posts
Sorry for the dramatics of the huge red font, but I needed to get my point across. After seeing someone completely trash their FMIC with wrinkle finish, I don't want anyone else thinking it's okay, because it so isn't. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
What if the fins are already painted for some reason? Can I use brake cleaner or goo gone on the intercooler? Would it damage anything?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts