Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got an automated email from the dealer near me about my 2017 2.5i Forester. It says that there is an open service campaign under WRB21-1 for the 17/18 Forester models and that I should schedule service. I know Subaru extended the warranty on the condenser to 5 years (I'm covered for 7 years with the extended warranty anways) but I wasn't aware of any initiative to proactively service the condenser. I tried searching the forums and Google but found nothing but the usual complaints on the A/C system.

I already had my AC compressor replaced in early 2020 for a squealing sound when activated. But this seems like something different. Has anyone else received this message or know what it's about?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Text of the announcement..

Subarunet Announcement

To: All Subaru Retailers
Date: February 17, 2021

New Subaru Service Program: WRB21 – Forester A/C Condenser
In the interest of customer satisfaction, Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is initiating a service program to check and, if necessary, replace the air conditioning condenser assembly in certain 2017 and 2018 model year Forester vehicles.

REASON FOR THIS SERVICE PROGRAM
Certain air conditioning condenser assemblies installed in the vehicles covered by this service program may be prone to corrosion within the condenser tube walls. If such corrosion develops, the air conditioning refrigerant may leak out and the air conditioning system may not provide sufficient cooling.

Affected Vehicles
The number of U.S. vehicles included in this service program is 207,386.
Not all vehicles listed below are included in this service program. Coverage for all affected vehicles must be confirmed by using the Vehicle Coverage Inquiry function on subarunet.com. This information is now available.

Model Years Carline Production date range
2017 - 2018 Forester March 23, 2016 – September 1, 2017

Description of the Repair
Subaru retailers will check the part number of the air conditioner condenser assembly in the vehicles covered by this service program. If the part number of the condenser in the vehicle is 73210SG010, the condenser will be replaced at no cost to the customer.

Retailer Responsibility
Any vehicles listed in any recall or campaign that are in retailer stock must be:
• Immediately identified
• Tagged or otherwise marked to prevent their delivery or use prior to repair
• Repaired in accordance with the repair procedures outlined in the Bulletin

Retailers are to promptly perform the applicable service procedures, to correct all affected vehicles in their inventory (new, used, demo & SSLP). Additionally, whenever a vehicle subject to this service campaign is taken into inventory or in for service, necessary steps should be taken to ensure the repair has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.

Owner Notification
Owner notification letters will be mailed in March 2021. Retailers will be notified when owner notification begins.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
779 Posts
whenever a vehicle subject to this service campaign is taken into inventory or in for service, necessary steps should be taken to ensure the repair has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.
It would bug me if I had my car in at the dealership and they wouldn't release it before doing some repair that I didn't tell them to do.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome thanks for pulling the PDFs on this campaign! I guess this isn't a recall because it's not safety related but it has the same type of action as one. Since the part number label looks to be easily accessible, I can verify the part number on my own. But since my car was built in early 2017, it's more than likely affected and will need the condenser replaced. Looks like it's likely I'll have to make yet another service visit. But at least this will give me an opportunity to have them upgrade the firmware on my head unit.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
202 Posts
But at least this will give me an opportunity to have them upgrade the firmware on my head unit.
You could just do that yourself. I have all the current firmware files on my Google drive.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,072 Posts
Thanks for the post. Our '17 had the condenser replaced in summer 2019 and it "appears" to have the "011" suffix but with the final "1" handwritten... This may be before they established the labels for the final "good" condensers...or not. Aha--it looks like production date is 8/22/18, which would put it well beyond the problem dates for the condensers...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Awesome thanks for pulling the PDFs on this campaign! I guess this isn't a recall because it's not safety related but it has the same type of action as one. Since the part number label looks to be easily accessible, I can verify the part number on my own. But since my car was built in early 2017, it's more than likely affected and will need the condenser replaced. Looks like it's likely I'll have to make yet another service visit. But at least this will give me an opportunity to have them upgrade the firmware on my head unit.
Basically. Since the problem doesn’t impact parts of the FMVSS (federal motor vehicle safety standards) code, there isn’t the same governance for reporting and tracking the issue.

Any of the service/product campaigns are treated similarly by subaru on the customer end... the quarterly compliance reporting for FMVSS issues is all on the back end where you don’t see it.

The ones that are the voluntary ones almost always start with “in the interest of customer satisfaction..”

Looks like letters are going out, so that is being handled by Customer Care just like a recall would be (not SOA).

For things like this in the past I’ve also had phone calls from the dealer if they are trying to meter out the flow of repairs so there aren’t delays - they’ll proactively go through and try to get people in there if there are slow spots... they’ll have an idea of how many vehicles they’ve sold that are impacted by any of these product campaigns (they can look up the numbers).

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could just do that yourself. I have all the current firmware files on my Google drive.

Holy smokes this is brilliant. I've been looking for how to do this on my own for years but could never find something on the boards till now. I'll give this a shot this weekend on both my 2017 and 2018 Foresters and see how it goes.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took off the air box snorkel today and confirmed that I do have the 010 condenser (made in 2/2017) and will need to visit the dealer for service. 4th visit for either a faulted component or a recall/service campaign with the 2017. At least the 2018 has been fine so far...

·
Registered
2018 Forester Premium
43 Posts
I took off the air box snorkel today and confirmed that I do have the 010 condenser (made in 2/2017) and will need to visit the dealer for service. 4th visit for either a faulted component or a recall/service campaign with the 2017. At least the 2018 has been fine so far...
I have a 2018 model made in late 2017 and did the same thing you did but found I have the 010 condenser so I made a appt. with the dealer to get it fixed. Sure was hoping mine was the 011 but no luck on that.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 2018 model made in late 2017 and did the same thing you did but found I have the 010 condenser so I made a appt. with the dealer to get it fixed. Sure was hoping mine was the 011 but no luck on that.
Fortunately, my 2018 is a XT that was made in the final couple months of production on the SJ generation. :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got my letter in the mail from SoA notifying me of the campaign. Guess the dealer was just a little early with their email notification. I have an appointment to drop off the car for replacement tomorrow though they told me they were booked for at least a week after, since they're metering their work on this issue and only scheduling a few per day.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got back from the dealer and they replaced my old condenser ending 010 with the new 73219SG000 condenser. Whole job took 3 hours total so not too terrible. Knocking on wood that this is the last faulty component with this car.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did they give you a loaner to drive while you waited?
No. I'm sure I could've borrowed one if I really had a need but I had my dad as a second driver and my 18 Forester so I could go home to work instead of waiting. I only live 2 miles from the dealer so it wasn't a big deal.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Premium
43 Posts
Sounds good. We have a appt. next Tuesday and will try to get a loaner so we can go to some stores rather than wait. Our dealer is 90 miles away. Last time we had a airbag recall on the 08 Outback they gave us a 20 Outback to drive, we did not like it at all.:D

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha I'm sure they'll arrange something for you if you give the service department a heads up before you're there. I saw a Crosstrek Sport loaner today...would be interested to try if I was actually in the market for a new car.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited
370 Posts
Thanks to @Move Zig for the full details. My 2018 has an SG010 condensor, so it's time to make an appt. I also received a notice recently about a free (I assume....) hardware upgrade to the SOS system as the old 3G system is being retired so two reasons for a visit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am in the same boat with the firmware on my head unit. Did you have issues with your SiriusXM account?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts