Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
What's with the gas pedal on these things?! First it gets stuck on the mats, now it doesn't work without the mats??!

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
No, he's not on crack.

subie-roo said:
What's with the gas pedal on these things?! First it gets stuck on the mats, now it doesn't work without the mats??!
Is this the same throttle problem from last year? If so, this will be the third thing blamed for the problem. First it was floor mats, then ECU programming, and now a sticky pedal.

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
It claims it is a different problem in the same system. Also having something to do with the linkage and mats.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
Things happen, they will rebound from it like always.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
I'm debating whether or not to tell my boss about this... he just bought a new Pontiac Vibe, which falls right into the middle of this latest recall.

What a lame recall though, but considering that 90% of Toyota owners wouldn't know what to do if their gas pedal was stuck in the on position (to whatever extent) it's probably a good thing that they're issuing the recall.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Corporate responsibility. Something they discovered after trying to cover up a defect in their last generation of Camrys in Japan. Got sued and fined up the arse for it. Ruined their reputation too.

·
Registered
2012 VW TDI R-Wagen DSG
1,046 Posts
I think this will do some damage to them . The Wall Street Journal said they expanded to fast and some quality control was lost. Time will tell . Subaru will just have to make more cars to compensate.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
I've been looking for the local article since the Cambridge assembly plant is close by but unable to find it. A Toyota spokesperson indicated that the assemblies were from an outside supplier, but Toyota must accept the responsibility for replacement or a fix.

The biggest question is how fast they can achieve this recall. Another question that is unanswered is GM going to voluntarily recall the Pontiac Vibes that also may be affected since they are likely using the same parts supply. I'm not sure if the Vibes are now built at a Toyota facility or a GM plant.

If you look at the recall statistics you will most likely find that the likes of Toyota and Subaru will step up to the plate with a voluntary recall before they are legally mandated to do so. I look at it as a major car company has recognized a serious problem and are accepting responsibility and not passing the buck or waiting for a mandate, for that they have my respect.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
If there's an obvious engineering or assembly flaw from the outside provider, Toyota will probably back-charge (or sue) that company to make up for the cost of the recall. The outside provider probably has insurance for this type of situation. So, methinks Toyota will feel a harder slap on their wrists than on their wallet.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
That slap may happen on the sales floor over the next year. Time will tell...

·
Registered
2006 X Premium
438 Posts
Although Toyota is not the only manufacturer that has products which experienced Sudden Unintended Acceleration, this is the largest recall of its kind and something tells me that this latest "fix" will not really fix the problem.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
660 Posts
Things happen, they will rebound from it like always.
I agree. They looked at this long-term. They did the right thing. Lots of other manufacturers have handled (or just simply denied) recalls very poorly - remember ignition coils for Audi and VW? They didn't come out publicly about the problem when they first knew of it and then they didn't have enough replacement coils when they did. Toyota is protecting brand equity.

·
Registered
03 2.5 X
766 Posts
I am starting to get annoyed at Toyota. I bought my 1st Toyota ever (2009 Camry Hybrid) last april based on reliability (and bigger back seat for rear facing car seat with arrival of daughter). Now I realize this isn't per say a reliability issue, but the way they are handling it has soured me. As of now (and after finding about it in the press first) their recommendation has been to remove the floor mat and we will let you know when you can come in for new pedal (been a couple months since the recall letter). Do they realize this is happening during winter months? They need to speed this up...or give a free carpet cleaning when pedal is replaced. Oh well...I just get a little pissed when I get in my car each time and see the muddy carpet and know the mat is in the trunk.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts