Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 2.0X
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and let me introduce myself. I am originally from north America (guess) and I now am an Australian who lives and works in Saudi Arabia. I owned a Subaru station wagon in 1996 and was really impressed with the boxer motor and the durability of the paint and the interior. Those cars were built to last and didn't follow the planned obsolescence ideas of most car manufacturers of the time. Now after 14 years and many countries I am ready to purchase my second Subbie with a "left over" 2009 2.5 X available here in the land of the great white Land Cruiser. I have kept my eye on Subaru and liked the Forester especially but the Outback resonates with the "Aussie" now in me. Both look like top notch SUV's and you can't kill the boxer motor even though it's had a few glitches. So I'm looking forward to getting some advice and sharing my experience with this forum. Thanks in advance... Da'oud

·
Registered
37 Posts
Loved the title. It's exactly what I thought when I found this corner of the internet.

Welcome from Whitby, Ontario, Canada.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Welcome, glad you found us and hope you'll be around here for a long time.

Speaking of long time between Subies, are you planning on staying in Saudia Arabia for some time? I seem to recall another member would offer up his experiences here while he was working over there. If I remember correctly, his ongoing complaint was about a speed chime that was equipped on his car if he went over the speed limit or thereabouts(?) Of course he would tell us of Rolls Royce's and Range Rover's passing him at high speeds out in the deserts
Can you tell us anything about what you're doing over there?

I'm definitely liking the new Outback, maybe a little more than the Forester (blasphemy), but it's all personal likes and dislikes.

Make sure you post some pictures when you're all sorted out with the new vehicle.

Cheers

·
Registered
2009 2.0X
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes Good Dog I am planning on being here awhile (part of the reason for buying a new car) as my wife and I both have work here. The law here requires some form of indicator when exceeding the general 120 kilometers an hour max limit on the highway (72 mph). I am renting while sorting out the purchase so I have seen many ways this plays out. With the Nissan Sunny and Tiida models its just a little blinking light but the Skoda models have an annoying whine. The only other one I know is the Chevy Aveo which has a slightly better on/off chime. I haven't asked about the Subaru yet because I am still negotiating and I don't want to appear to be too eager (its hard when drool appears whenever I go to the dealers LOL). You may ask how I know so much about these warnings? The roads here are excellent as well as being long and straight so its not rare to see cars travelling 160 or 180 kilometers an hour as they pass me doing my conservative 140 kilometers an hour.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts