Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm hooked on Chris Shontz' Jeep Rubicon overloading. He uses a simple, beautiful rooftop tent. Here's a link to a video walk around.

Had a Jeep Wrangler JLU until a couple of weeks ago. Mr Schontz goes everywhere in North America. He has had adventures, and a few misadventures. Quality of his videos and scenery photos is excellent.

He gets into the tent from the inside/rear of the Jeep. Puts the tent floor back in place and he's good. He added a heater (doesn't work well above 5,000 feet. Cokes up and shuts down for service.

He has lived in the Jeep for 4-5 years. Full time.

One concern I have is that I could easily exceed the vehicle Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

Another concern---he high sided the Jeep on slimy gravel Quebec road, then ended up in the ditch in the middle of nowhere. He had help righting the Jeep...

·
Registered
64 Posts
There are rooftop tents that open to the side, cantilevered out.....access is from a ladder outside the vehicle through a zip-up door on the tent.

Same concerns--high centre of gravity. and GVWR of the Subie...with tent and all the gear you need.

(Another video--Epic Family Road Trip. Jeep Wrangler (JKU) Lots of work done to dry the tent out. I don't like the way theirs stows or folds. Wet tents are awful.)

·
Registered
2020 Touring as of 8/28/2020!
573 Posts
So, how would you do that if you are in the camper? :D
Uh, if you're IN the tent and it's raining so hard you need to close the sunroof (that's underneath you) to keep it from getting in the car despite the tent covering the opening you have bigger problems than just getting a little wet.

·
Registered
19' Limited
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'm hooked on Chris Shontz' Jeep Rubicon overloading. He uses a simple, beautiful rooftop tent.
Those are cool, custom made for Jeeps and Honda Elements I think, wish they did one for Subarus. Maybe if enough people email asking...https://ursaminorvehicles.com

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,540 Posts
I like the idea as long as the tent floor is big enough..... Im thinking spiral stair case..

Failing that you could get a tube /slide and go in through the window like the good old boys and if your lucky Daisy Duke will be waiting.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
115 Posts
On mine I can go out the tent window and in the open moon-roof, but it is easier to use the ladder. Remote-controlled switches are easy to find and are getting cheap.

The tent is mounted as far back as it would fit, to keep as much of the moon-roof uncovered as I could.

The 20mm sway bar upgrade was done before adding the 125 pound tent, but ride and handling are still good with the tent in place.

Reactions: 2mnycars

·
Registered
2021 Forester Sport (Betty)
38 Posts
The only issue I've had with my iKamper is the rear end sags when we load Betty up for a camping trip. Otherwise it's a pretty perfect camping car.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
722 Posts
I'm still having trouble getting away from imagining you have to be less than 3 feet tall to fit on a tent floor that is above only the solid metal part of the roof of a Forester

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
115 Posts
These tents have a harder floor than traditional tents.
Folded out the tent floor is the size of an extra-long queen-size bed in the iKamper mini. The closed metal floor of the mini is 55 by 57 inches.

@PeriwinkleMetal When fully loaded I have the same complaint, so I am looking at spring options, trying to get more lift without much of a height increase.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The air-lift won't work on my Forester, I have a shock absorber in the center of the rear spring.
I was looking at a spring set but I can't find the link now. This is another thing that might help my 2017: Subtle Solutions 3/8in Saggy Butt Rear Spacer Set.
They make these spacers in other thicknesses also.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Those are cool, custom made for Jeeps and Honda Elements I think, wish they did one for Subarus. Maybe if enough people email asking...https://ursaminorvehicles.com
Chris ditched his Rubi on it's side in water; centre of gravity is very high when loaded with tent on the roof. Need to consider that driving a roof-loaded vehicle.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Answer to original question -- maybe, if I were camping in grizzly country. Even then, egress would need to be quick.
Overall -- no.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium
13 Posts
I love this idea, and looked to see if there was anything like it on the market before building out my 2015 Forrester. I didn't find anything. Beam me up/Sign me up!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts