Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19' Limited
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was thinking this would be cool, especially if it was custom sized for a forester sun roof. Been talking with a supplier that sent me the mockup at the bottom (I don't know how they got my photo for it:)), and it sounds like they do actually make the basic idea. But I wish Subaru or CVT or someone was just doing it already and had all the stuff figured out. Curious if anyone else would be interested?

·
Registered
19' Limited
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
19' Limited
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No thanks. How would you get up there without damaging the interior? What if you get a storm while the hatch is open?
It's not in the mockup but the idea is there would be a tube of some sort so it's not letting the elements in. That's part of why I wish Subaru or someone had it all figured out and custom fitting.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,788 Posts
Honestly? Not enough folks have RTTs and so there is a fairly limited market to justify the cost of R&D for such a feature... Additionally, that would mean your tent would need to sit over the front part of the roof, requiring an extension of the roof rails and a squarer roofline and of those roof rails to meet the base of the RTT.

And let's not forget that not all Foresters have the sunroof.

·
Registered
19' Limited
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honestly? Not enough folks have RTTs and so there is a fairly limited market to justify the cost of R&D for such a feature... Additionally, that would mean your tent would need to sit over the front part of the roof, requiring an extension of the roof rails and a squarer roofline and of those roof rails to meet the base of the RTT.

And let's not forget that not all Foresters have the sunroof.
Yeah it's definitely a limited market, Subaru only sells like 150k Foresters a year, not all with sun roofs, although RTTs are booming. But there isn't exactly a lot of RD with rooftop tents, I just meant it would be easier if the hole was exactly the size of the forester sun roof or something, and there needs to be a fabric tube that blocks out bugs and weather. The tent style for this is the clamshell type so it covers most of the roof already.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
722 Posts
just how small and nimble are you?!? (and in more practical terms, do you know how little force the roof sheet metal can take before it bends and ruins the sealing and moving of the glass roof panel??)

·
Registered
19' Limited
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just how small and nimble are you?!? (and in more practical terms, do you know how little force the roof sheet metal can take before it bends and ruins the sealing and moving of the glass roof panel??)
You mean like if you put weight on the top of the car roof? Yeah I don't know, I imagine my 130 lbs might do some damage in the right place, but the idea is the trap door would be exactly the size of the sun roof so it's not like you'd be sitting directly on the roof. In the mockup I think they have a standard size sunroof not the big one in Foresters.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,499 Posts
I was thinking this would be cool, especially if it was custom sized for a forester sun roof. Been talking with a supplier that sent me the mockup at the bottom (I don't know how they got my photo for it:), and it sounds like they do actually make the basic idea. But I wish Subaru or CVT or someone was just doing it already and had all the stuff figured out. Curious if anyone else would be interested?
View attachment 554310
The guy in the car pushing the girl's disembodied head through the sunroof totally creeped me out.
:eek:
Other than that, it seems like a great way to mess up your interior as you attempt to climb in, in the dark, bending the steering wheel and setting off the alarm.
:p
What's the advantage?
On thee other hand...
Sheet metal on new Foresters is very thin and dent ready, so you are likely to drive around with a butt indent on your roof.
;)

·
Registered
2020 Touring as of 8/28/2020!
570 Posts
My first thought, how much useable roof top tent floor space would be lost?
I would imagine you would only lose it for the time period it takes for you to get in and out otherwise the cushion would be in place.

What if you get a storm while the hatch is open?
Wouldn’t the tent offer protection?

Doesn’t an RTT sit above the sheet metal on a rack? I’d use an empty 5 gallon bucket as a step and push up on the tent floor. Then again I’m pretty small and nimble for an old lady.

I don’t think it’s a heinous idea. Pretty sure I’d appreciate it if I needed something in the car and it was pouring out.

·
Registered
19' Limited
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The guy in the car pushing the girl's disembodied head through the sunroof totally creeped me out.
:eek:
Other than that, it seems like a great way to mess up your interior as you attempt to climb in, in the dark, bending the steering wheel and setting off the alarm.
:p
What's the advantage?
On thee other hand...
Sheet metal on new Foresters is very thin and dent ready, so you are likely to drive around with a butt indent on your roof.
;)
Yeah I got a kick out of the mockup, not bad considering I just gave a few sentence description of what I was looking for. The reason why I like the idea is you get in the car like normal, take your shoes off (and importantly leave them inside) then step on the seat or maybe middle armrest. The cool thing is it would allow you to access stuff from inside the car without actually going outside, so if your forget your thing you don't have to put on your shoes, go down the ladder and open the doors, so in a way it kinda would act like a pop top (I've looked nobody makes one).

·
Registered
19' Limited
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Only to a certain degree and definitely not in wild weather
The tent I'm looking at is actually rated for 4 seasons, although I don't think it would be very fun to spend more than a night or two in sub freezing temps.

·
Registered
19' Limited
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would imagine you would only lose it for the time period it takes for you to get in and out otherwise the cushion would be in place.

Wouldn’t the tent offer protection?

Doesn’t an RTT sit above the sheet metal on a rack? I’d use an empty 5 gallon bucket as a step and push up on the tent floor. Then again I’m pretty small and nimble for an old lady.

I don’t think it’s a heinous idea. Pretty sure I’d appreciate it if I needed something in the car and it was pouring out.
Oh yeah it's on the roof rails for sure, and yeah rain is one of the reasons I like the idea too.

·
Registered
19' Limited
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I suppose in really wild weather you could just close the sunroof. 🤔
I think the idea is there would be some sort of weatherproof baffle between the trap door and the sunroof. If anybody loves weird sewing projects let me know:)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts