Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Prem
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all- I've been reading on this board for awhile, but this is my first post :) THANKS to all since you have convinced me to buy a new Forester. We are picking up our *new* Forester this week and are trying to decide on the extended warranty offered by Subaru. Would you/did you purchase this when you bought your car? We are considering the additional 3 yr warranty. With all of the technology in cars, we think it may be worth it. It will cost us $620.

Any thoughts/input would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT Premium 4EAT
229 Posts
Congratulations and welcome. I think you can buy an official Subaru warranty for less money on line rather than from the dealer. Someone will have the information.

David

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
What are the specs of the warranty?

Level/Duration/Mileage/Deductible

I purchased a Gold 5yr/100,000mile/$0 for my XT for ~$1600 (included turbo premium)

I definitely recommend it if you can get a $0 deductible. Oh, and you can purchase the extended warranty anytime (well it has to be a few months) before the regular warranty expires.

I have used mind and even if I haven't made back the full amount, it was really nice when recently my alternator needed to be replaced, I didn't have any money (tough times) and it was replaced for $0!!!! If anything it is a great insurance policy.

Keep in mind that you don't need to buy A: at the time of purchase and B: from the dealer you're getting the policy from. I would suggest calling OTHER dealers to compare prices. I bought my extended warranty from a different dealer than where I got the Forester from 2.5yrs after. I highly recommend Annapolis Subaru.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
453 Posts
I bought a 7-year, 100K mile exclusionary warranty from my bank for $1000. Subaru offered me as similar warranty for a bit more. I forget what my deductible is, but it is was less then I had spent replacing the alternator on my 60k mile 4-year old Mazda.

What makes an exclusionary warranty, rather then list the parts that the warranty covers, instead the warranty lists the parts it doesn't cover. Which works out to be most wear-and-tear parts such as glass, tires, wiper blades, etc. But it covers more then just mechanicals, such as all the electronics, power seats, etc...

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
You may want to check with your insurer. Some of them, like the lizard, offer Mechanical Breakdown Insurance which is an excellent value. Most extended warranties are huge profit centers for the stealerships. I'd much rather put the money I'd (likely waste) on an extended warranty into my own separate savings account every month but that takes more financial involvement than most people are willing to invest (pun intended).

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
I don't trust aftermarket warranties. From the dealings I've seen with them, they are often more hastle than they are worth.

I have a 7yr, 100K, $0 Gold Plus. It was included when I bought the car. We bought my wifes warranty (a 7 yr, 70k, $0 Gold Plus) for a few hundred bucks at the purchasing dealer.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
305 Posts
I have the Gold 7 year/100K mile $100 deductible Subaru warranty which cost me $870 from the dealer at the time of purchase.

Not so sure I should have purchased it, as my dealer keeps insisting that the warranty is dependent on having all maintenance done at a Subaru garage-which is bullstuff.( I changed the oil, cabin air filter, differential fluid & transmission oil @ 15K for $80 myself-dealer wanted $180 for just the cabin filter and oil change, plus inspecting other fluid levels) I'm expecting a huge fight if I ever need to use it. Guess I'd been better off putting the $870 in a savings account:crazy:

·
Registered
257 Posts
So you buy a new car and hope you never have any big problems. Great. That's the way it's supposed to work.

Then you buy an extended warranty and hope you have problems after the base warranty runs out, that are covered of course, so you can feel the additional cost was worth it. In other words, at the time of purchase you pre-pay for repairs, needed or not.

So why not choose a manufacturer that you have confidence in. Rely on the original warranty if you're unfortunate and should have problems.

Never have bought extended warranties. And never will. But, I have sold many :biggrin: They are designed to make a profit for the seller, not the buyer.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
Warranties are for those of us who desire expensive peace of mind and or have a tough time budgeting for repairs

If you are lucky or unlucky as it were, you may be unfortunate enough to end up with a lemon which no manufacturer is immune to and in that case, the warranty may pay for itself and then some but as the previous poster stated, warranty companies are in business to make money and like insurance, they get your cash and all you get in return is peace of mind.

If you are concerned about a lemon or can't save money, maybe a warranty is for you. I would caution you however to find the the most "solvent" company you can however because in these tough times, warranty companies are not immune to bankruptcy and you might end up stuck with a worthless and very expensive promise to repair your car by a company that no longer exists when you may need them in 3 or 4 years down the road.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,973 Posts
Having bought my Forester a bit earlier than expected due to the sudden death of my previous (non-Subaru) car, I took no chances and got an extended warranty. The Forester was utterly trouble free, so I opted not to get one when we bought my wife's Impreza two years later. At over 60k miles it's had only one significant maintenance episode, which in itself would not have paid back the cost of the extended warranty.

Subarus are reliable cars!

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
I bought an extended warranty with my '07 X, but I returned it a few months later. I put the money into a savings account, where it'll earn interest in case I need to do any repairs. I now own an '08 FSXT, which I like to mod, so a warranty won't really help anyways.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
292 Posts
If the vehicle is used, I would buy the extended warranty covering just the major components to keep the price down. Also if your getting an XT make sure that it covers the Turbo. Verify everything you got with the Warranty Company itself not the dealer. Also ask how long does it take to process the warranty coverage. Some dealers take 1 month to submit the paper work.

When I originally purchased my Warranty covered by Wells Fargo it covered the Drivetrain and Engine, and asked the dealer if it covered the Turbo. And they said yes by default since the vehicle came with turbo. Out of curiousity I called the warranty folks directly after doing a warranty claim for the Idler Pulley the same week I bought the vehicle and they said the Turbo is not covered. So it took about 2 weeks for the Dealer and the warranty folks to fix the contract before I could do any repairs.

While the service dept. was in there they also found the other timing belt components going and was covered under extended warranty so I just paid the extra money for just the Belt itself in conjuction to the warranty repair and saved me a $1000 in parts & labor.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
We are picking up our *new* Forester this week and are trying to decide on the extended warranty offered by Subaru. Would you/did you purchase this when you bought your car? We are considering the additional 3 yr warranty. With all of the technology in cars, we think it may be worth it. It will cost us $620.

Any thoughts/input would be appreciated.
Carousel,

Your new car will already be covered by several “extended warranties” at no extra cost.

Specifically, there’s a 5 year / 60 K mile Powertrain Limited Warranty, and, because you’re buying a PZEV vehicle in NJ, various specific parts and miscellaneous items will be covered for 7 years / 70 K miles, 8 years / 80 K miles, 8 years / 100 K miles, or even 15 years / 150 K miles, the last item per the California PZEV Extended Defect Warranty, which applies in NJ.

Here's a summary of the coverage provided by the Powertrain Limited Warranty, courtesy of Subaru:

Powertrain Limited Warranty

POWERTRAIN COVERAGE for all models is 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Subject to the exclusions listed in this warranty, it covers the major powertrain components listed below.

Powertrain Coverage Components
Engine
Engine block and all internal parts
Cylinder heads and valve trains
Oil pump, oil pan
Timing belts or gears and cover
Water pump
Flywheel
Intake and exhaust manifolds
Oil seals and gaskets​

Transaxle and Differential
Transaxle case and internal parts
Torque converter
Electronic transmission control unit
Seals and gaskets
Axle shafts & constant velocity joints [except boots]**
Propeller shaft
Wheel bearings​
I’d recommend you carefully review the Warranty and Maintenance Booklet that will be supplied with your car before signing up for the extended warranty, as much of the car will still be warranted for long after the basic 3 year / 36 K mile warranty has expired. You will also have several opportunities after buying the car to purchase and extended warranty should you so decide.

Finally, make sure you understand what’s covered and what’s not in the extended warranty, and what the deductibles might be. My brother bought an SOA extended warranty for his Legacy and it’s paid off from a math perspective, but the time and energy spend haggling with SOA has not come cheaply.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Attachments

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
What crewzer said...

There's no obligation to buy the extended warranty at the time of purchase, or at the dealership where you're buying the car. You will have the opportunity to purchase one anytime before the 3yr/36k bumper-to-bumper warranty expires. I'd see if the car is prone to developing any problems first before shelling out the money up front.

Also keep in mind how long you're planning on keeping the car. Sure, if you sell or trade it in before the extended warranty expires you can transfer it to the new owner, or get a prorated refund, but is it really worth it?

I'm speaking from experience, as I once wasted a good chunk of cash on the Added Security Gold Plus plan when I purchased my Outback Sport in 2000. The car never needed a single repair trip, and I wound up selling it within 3 years because I had turbo envy and upgraded to my FXT. I got the remainder of the warranty balance paid out, but I wish I would've just put the money into an interest-bearing account in the first place.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
292 Posts
Some Extended Warraties do offer a partial refund if never used also.

By no mean are you obligated to purchase the extended warranty. They will give you the sad sob stories of what can happen during your ownership. But if the car is new, you won't need it at all. Also as a reminder you must keep all maintanence records just in case SOA ask for them.

But in the case of a used High Mileage vehicle, its a safe cusion to have.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,973 Posts
Car salespeople are like chameleons. One moment they're selling you the world's most reliable vehicle, and the moment you sign on the dotted line they're giving out dire warnings of what could go wrong and how much it would cost to fix.

They also switch instantly from being your best buddy to not even recognizing you if they tripped over you.

·
Registered
257 Posts
^^ Yeah. Ain't that the truth. :biggrin:

But, not only car sales people. Same with TV's, appliances and just about everything else. I used to work in retail sales. The best money was in selling extended warranties. By far. If you were good at it and could bullsh*t enough, you were at your company.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Touring
179 Posts
Interesting discussion -I have been debating this myself when I (eventually/hopefully) drive away with my new Subaru. I make a good portion of my income providing support to customers on extended warranties/service contracts (not cars) -yes they are designed to make money for the vendor, but we definitely don't win on all of them. Insurance is a very good analogy. I had a 2002 Honda CRV for four years, and I certainly wish I had an extended warranty for that, I could not believe all the things that went wrong with it (alternator, A/C compressor, fuel vapour recovery pump, airbag control module) -it all added up to a lot more than the extra warranty could have cost. And Hondas are such "reliable" cars too.

I will see what it costs when the time comes (and as was said, carefully review the Ts&Cs), not to mention shop around for offers from other dealerships or insurance companies.

Thanks to all for your thoughts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Another extended warranty question...

On the verge of buying an '05 XT with 50K from a Honda dealership, and they are - of course - trying to roll in some extended warranty profit into the financing. The minimal info I have is from the salesman, not the financing person, so he wasn't clear if it was through Honda Care or some other third-party company.

I know I don't want to finance a warranty, though some peace of mind might be good for a non-mechanically-inclined person like me. Since the car is already out of warranty, are there any official Subaru plans I can get from SOA? I've heard so many horror stories about extended warranties that hardly cover anything at all or make you pay upfront and then fight for reimbursement. Any input appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5XT
19 Posts
My Added Security Gold has actually JUST PAID FOR ITSELF

I have an '06 FXT and purchased Added Security Gold (7 yrs/70K Miles) just before the original 3yrs/36K miles warranty ran out. There's been a lot of Back & Forth on whether the ASG plans are worth it, etc. I waivered, but because my XT has a TURBO, I decided to go for it. I now have 61K miles on the car and the maintenance plan just saved me a couple of GRAND. On Sunday night, I was driving home when the dreaded Check Engine light came on and the Cruise Control light started flashing. I have a "Scan Gauge" OBDII Reader mounted in the smaller sunglasses compartment, so I was quickly able to determie that a P1410 fault code had been logged. That was the first time I've ever seen ANY code logged since I've had the Scan Gauge installed. I normally use it just to keep track of Gas Mileage variation. Anyway, The reported P1410 code refers to a known problem that affects '06 XTs as well as some WRX engines where the "Secondary Air Injector(s) get jammed." If you search around for the fault code, you'll find all the Gory Details. The worst aspect of this problem is that, in a case like mine where BOTH of the injectors are replaced, the dealer's retail service charges will exceed $2500! The service writer also told me that they replaced both injectors with NEW part numbers. So, Subaru has evidently (finally) corrected the design defect with the original injectors. Finally, if you're looking at buying ASG, as other people have mentioned, you don't have to actually shell out the $$ for it until just before your original warranty runs out. Even though I live in California, I bought mine from a Subaru dealer in Minnesota who was discounting all of the plans at that time. So, I paid less than retail and I also did NOT pay Sales Tax. After he sold me the plan, it was registered against my FXT's VIN. My local dealer could see that I had the ASG coverage with Zero deductible.
If I remember correctly, I paid somewhere between $1K-$1.5K for the 7/70 ASG coverage. Well, since i just saved more than the original plan cost, I'm definitely Happy Now! :icon_cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts