Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Conventional wisdom says they've been beat on more than a stock car. But given the forester demographic I'd hazard a guess that they've also been taken better care of than say a modded WRX or STI.

And then there's the fact that you'll get say an 04/05 XT with 70K miles with WRX suspension, brakes, VFXX turbo and STI inter-cooler bla bla.. about 5K + in mods for about $11-13K.

In other words you get one hell of a fast AWD car for cheap, but do you think it's too big of a gamble?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Absolutely! -> linky see post #5

Mind you, do your due dilligence and evaluate your risks properly!
Thanks for the link. You've got what I want and it puts out some nice numbers!
However I don't think a 08 XT sport is in my future. I'll be looking a basicly what I already have 04 XT MT, but with the mods.

I would be less concerned if I was in the market for something with <30K miles.

BTW I feel your pain with the cost of cars in Canada. I'm an Aussie (now living in CO) and the cost of cars back home in INSANE.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it's a gamble, you get to save huge over building it yourself.
Well any used car out of warranty can have problems, that's just the risk you take to save big over a new car. Subaru's are pretty solid it seems.

But like you said, you save a lot. I have a pretty stock 04 XT MT now, but I don't see going past an up pipe/down pipe, tune and swift springs.

Plus I can't do the work myself so I also have the cost of labor for the install.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
210 Posts
Conventional wisdom says they've been beat on more than a stock car. But given the forester demographic I'd hazard a guess that they've also been taken better care of than say a modded WRX or STI.

And then there's the fact that you'll get say an 04/05 XT with 70K miles with WRX suspension, brakes, VFXX turbo and STI inter-cooler bla bla.. about 5K + in mods for about $11-13K.

In other words you get one hell of a fast AWD car for cheap, but do you think it's too big of a gamble?
I know I would!
wish-me-luck
The forester is cleaner then any other forester I test drive and it runs very well.
I was a little afraid at first. But I know where the guy made his mod and I know the shop by reputation. Just get it inspected and if everything turns out fine. Enjoy the boost in power and/or luxury from you’re new ride!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies guys. Hopefully the right car turns up when it's time to make the plunge. :Banane08:

@skullmurdoc congrats on the Silver 04 XT. My wife's 04 XT is silver as well and it stays cool and hides the dirt nicely.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
^lol :Banane35:

I would if it's what you want, I like the idea of taking something everyone else has and making it work for me..
usually not a huge undertaking, just some basic tweaks. But if I were looking for a fire breathing turbo monster to jump in way over my head with then maybe I'd go a different route.

·
Banned
funk funkoozies1
1 Posts
^lol :Banane35:

I would if it's what you want, I like the idea of taking something everyone else has and making it work for me..
usually not a huge undertaking, just some basic tweaks. But if I were looking for a fire breathing turbo monster to jump in way over my head with then maybe I'd go a different route.
It 's a great idea. it is better for U and me as well!

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
If it's a modified car from someone I don't know.......NEVER.

If it's a modified car from someone that I know and TRUST......maybe.

But my gut is always no, nope, never.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts