Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on your experience with the reliability of this car, engine, and drivetrain, would you buy a 2004 forester xt manual with 200000 miles for $6995 ?

If not, a what price would you reconsider?

What should I be looking for when I go take a look at it?

Kbb says $6100-$7400

I've heard of the 300000 club so I figure if its been taken good care of and I can get the price down tp 6500, I'm sold. W hat do you experts think??

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
If it is indeed the original engine/trans, then I would assume that the engine is due for rebuild (as is the transmission as well). You might be able to squeeze another 50,000 more miles out of it, sure. But odds are, they will not be problem free miles.

If it were me, it would have to be in immaculate condition, and even then I would only offer $4500 (5k max) with the knowledge that it will need roughly another 3-5k for engine/trans/misc rebuilding to get it to last another 100,000+ miles.

BUT, if you throw another 2-4 thousand dollars in, you can find yourself an XT with right around 100,000 miles that will last you another 100,000 miles or so problem free.

But I would tread lightly, it's a gamble to be honest.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
69 Posts
I purchased my '05 FXT manual with 100k mi. very recently for $9k. The timing belt hasn't been done yet and that's a $500+ out of pocket expense so consider the maintenance history too. I've got some swaybar noise up front so I'll be replacing endlinks and/or bushings very soon. It's not just the condition of the paint and interior and how it rides down the road but the bushings, suspension, wheel bearings and all the other wear items as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts