Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 GT30r'd Forester JDM 6-speed
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not 100% sure that I fully understand the whole wheel offset thing. I can grasp what It means for stock sizing, but once you start going up in width and wheel diameter I guess I kinda get lost.

anyway, there is a gorgeous set of Work CR Kai's for sale over on Nasioc, and I thought about making an offer. They are 18X7.5 +42 and have 225/40/18 tires on them.

FS/FT (MD): Gunmetal Work Emotion CR Kai 18x7.5 5x100 +42 with 225/40/18 RS2 - NASIOC

Even if I don't end up purchasing these exact ones.... I was just wondering if this setup would be Forester friendly for an '04 XT or if it'd be putting too much stress on the wheel bearings, because everyone seems to agree that we should be staying around +48

P.S. I'll be running the 4/2 pot.... so I'll need something to clear that adequately

-Jason

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
you should be fine... i think +40 is the limit until you start to stress things. im trying to score some 17x9 +42 rotas myself!

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Offset is not all about sticking out, how much it sticks out depends on the width of the wheel you are comparing it to. 18x7.5 +42 vs. stock 17x7 +48 will be the same on the strut side, but will stick out 12mm on the outside -- nice flush fitment IMO as long as it doesn't rub on the fender.

I'd say if you like them, run'em.

I'm not 100% sure that I fully understand the whole wheel offset thing. I can grasp what It means for stock sizing, but once you start going up in width and wheel diameter I guess I kinda get lost.
Ignore the wheel diameter, that will only affect tire width (18x7 225 tires will be wider than 17x7 225 tires). For offset, all that matters is width.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

Stan

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Stan and everyone for your quick responces!

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,894 Posts
Yes, +42 offset will stress the wheels bearing more than the stock +48, but not overly so. I'm running 235/45-18x7.5, +42 offset. BTW, my trusted tire guy said 7.5" is the optimal width for a 235 Toyo Proxes 4. :wink:

If you want to see what the offset does, go here & plug in the stock +48 on one side, the +42 offset on ther other side & see what it does. :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,503 Posts
Just to add, my winter wheels are 17x7.5 ET42. Not as same as the Works obviously but I have no fitment issues at all with 225/50/17 tires. The slightly lower offset makes them look nice in the wheel wells.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
Those wheels will work just fine, and will only stick out a few millimeters more than your stock wheels. The tires however are a little on the short side...
they've got 16mm less sidewall than my 245/40-18's which are on the lower side of the spectrum while retaining an accurate speedometer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it looks like it's a go on the wheels, but I could stand for a better tire choice? The guy is asking $1200 for wheels and tires, but only $800 for the wheels alone.... so anyone think $900 shipped is a decent deal on these? I know I had some on my STi for a short time, and I paid like $2000, but that was back in 2006

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,503 Posts
As Duderotomy noted, the tires will look pretty short on a Forester; you'll have quite a bit of wheel gap unless you are slammed on some sort of low suspension. Plus there's the speedo issue. I'd skip the tires, personally. $900 shipped seems like a good deal to me.

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Those tires should be pretty fun. I'm a fan of getting used wheels with tires and wearing the tires out, you save some money that way. It would cost more to ship though, I've shipped 18x8 Rotas with tires on them from CA to MI for almost $200 1 1/2 years ago.

How heavy are these wheels? Rotas are nice, but these are nicer IMO, they are not knock-offs. If he could ship for $1,200 with tires, that would be a nice deal IMO.

Stan

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I made him an offer on just the wheels.... lets see what he says.... if I do end up getting them.... any suggestions on what tire size I should go with.... I'm going to be lowering the car on D-specs and STi prodrive reds more than likely.

-Jason

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
I'm running 225/45/18s on 18x7.5 48+ wheels right now, and it is awesome. I'm on STi springs with 1/2 spacers, I used to have prodrive reds. Without spacers you may rub on the fender, but I can't confirm that for sure, I did rub on the fender with 245/45/18s on 18x8 48+ wheel on RCE wagon springs, even with 1/2 spacer.

IMO, 245s on an 18" wheel for a street car is just too much tire (17" is a different story), flame away. If I could get the wheels with the tires on them for like $300 more, I'd do that -- new 18" tires are $$$$$.

Stan

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm running 225/45/18s on 18x7.5 48+ wheels right now, and it is awesome. I'm on STi springs with 1/2 spacers, I used to have prodrive reds. Without spacers you may rub on the fender, but I can't confirm that for sure, I did rub on the fender with 245/45/18s on 18x8 48+ wheel on RCE wagon springs, even with 1/2 spacer.

IMO, 245s on an 18" wheel for a street car is just too much tire (17" is a different story), flame away. If I could get the wheels with the tires on them for like $300 more, I'd do that -- new 18" tires are $$$$$.

Stan
again please ignore my ignorance, but wouldn't spacers be pushing these +42's even farther outboard from the center? how would spacers help prevent rubbing with my possible future suspension setup? It would seem to me the further out you push it, the even more likelihood there would be of rubbing along the fender.

Also, as far as whether or not to take the tires also.... tirerack has the same tires that are on this setup (Hankook R-S2) in the size 235/40/18 on sale for $89 a piece.... would this be a better tire size, for only a marginal increase in price over the set that is already on it?

-Jason

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Sorry, I meant strut spacers for more ride height, not hub spacers -- you shouldn't need those.

If it were me, I'd try to get a good deal with tires on, or get 225/45/18s. That's an awesome price at TR.

Stan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts