Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 5-Speed
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 1999 Forester L a few months back, and the problems keep adding up, so I've decided to just get rid of it and buy a new one, and was wondering what others thought on two potential purchases. Keep in mind, I haven't negotiated prices yet, so this is just what they're asking for right off the bat.

2004 Forester X (NATL) - $9450
Automatic
Mileage: 115,900
Color: Silver
Minor Issues: A/C light doesn't turn on when pushed, but the A/C works fine.

2003 Forester X - $8490
Manual
Mileage: 119,369
Color: White
Minor Issues: None

Timing belt has been replaced on the '04 along with the wheel bearings in the last month or so, and on the '03 they weren't sure if the TB was replaced, so if I want, I can get it replaced for $250 (Is this a good deal?). Just wondering which one is the better deal, and how much I should try to shoot for when negotiating the price. They're offering me $2500 for my '99 L which I think I'm going to take due to the long list of problems I'm having with it.

Also, since one of the reasons I'm getting rid of my '99 is due to HG issues, should I be cautious about the 2003 and newer? I heard the 2003+ haven't had nearly as many problems as the 98/99s.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,496 Posts
I think the 2003 was the first year for the improvement but I believe it is still an issue.

The timing belt should be accompanied by the water pump idlers, seals, and tensioner. I think the parts are well over 500 bucks. Personally (for me) that's a lot of miles for that money.....both of them. I'd pass. Things are pretty expensive to fix on a Subaru.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 5-Speed
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the 2003 was the first year for the improvement but I believe it is still an issue.

The timing belt should be accompanied by the water pump idlers, seals, and tensioner. I think the parts are well over 500 bucks. Personally (for me) that's a lot of miles for that money.....both of them. I'd pass. Things are pretty expensive to fix on a Subaru.

What would be the most you'd pay for either of them, if you don't mind me asking? Trying to get an idea on where to start negotiating, so it'd help out a lot.

W/ the timing belt replacement, I remember him mentioning that they replace the pump and seals as well, but not sure what else they do. If I do happen to go down that route, I'll definitely have them do as much as they can while they're at it.

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts