Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT Automagical
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, thanks for inventing this forum. It's awesome. Second. Hi, I'm Tmeck.

Thirdly, need some advice.

Is it worth it to pay extra for the 06 forester xt? or go with the 04 or 05 xt for the cheaper price?

And do all the xt's require premium gas?

Thanks in advanced!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,406 Posts
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

X or XT, it depends on what you want or need. If you're looking for a vehicle for around town use & light highway use, the X is all you need. If you're into road trips, especially with lots of steep grades, you want the extra power of the XT. :smile:

Choose wisely. Many members have wished they went for the XT, once they bought an X. :frown:

For me, I started out with an X & I wanted more power. I'm also into MODding, so last year (June/09) I moved up to an '07 FSXT. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know i want the xt, I was wondering if its worth it to get the newer models for the extra price?

·
Registered
09 XT
448 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had extensively perused that site. =)

I juuust cant decide

·
Administrator
39,406 Posts
I know i want the xt, I was wondering if its worth it to get the newer models for the extra price?
To me, lower miles = less wear & tear. That includes the engine/transmission, interior & exterior. That's what I look for first, not the year. :wink:

When I was searching for my next Forester, I new I was going to go some power MODding, so I wanted one with the lowest miles as possible & it could be an '04 to an '08. My first choice was an '04, since the styling was very close to my '03. As you can see, I settled on an '07. The earlier models will cost less than a later one. Odds are that the earlier model will have higer miles. It's a toss up & you'll most likely have to pick one that will fit within your price range. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for that bit of advice. i've seen your other post about your modded forester and am honestly honored that you bothered to stop by and say something at all!

·
Administrator
39,406 Posts
thanks for that bit of advice. i've seen your other post about your modded forester and am honestly honored that you bothered to stop by and say something at all!
Thank you for the compliment. :icon_redface:

This forum is a great place to learn & share. Once you find your Forester, I hope you decide to hang around. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
To me, lower miles = less wear & tear. That includes the engine/transmission, interior & exterior. That's what I look for first, not the year. :wink:
I agree with that. The cars were similar enough that you can't go wrong either way. I don't think there were any particular bugaboos that plagued either the 04-05s or the 06-08s. To my recollection, a lot of it comes down to options available between the model years and some minor changes in styling. The motor also changed a bit in 2006, when it went from STi- to WRX-based as the WRX got bumped to 2.5 liters and the Forester inherited that motor. Later years got VDC (traction control), the "Sports" body package, and a few other things.

Take a peek over at Cars101 to get a feel for the differences in model years.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so is it better to go with the sti engine? or wrx engine?

benefits of the traction control?

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
2,355 Posts

benefits of the traction control?
Hello, welcome.

If money isn't a big deal I say pay a few thousand extra and get a newer one. I think at this point, 7 years since it's inception, the early XTs (04-05)are only sought out by people that want some of the particular quirks available in those models....i.e. bigger fogs, different engine, etc. The newer ones 2006+ sacrifice a bit of power but they supposedly drive smoother. I'd recommend finding one of each and experience driving both before you spend a big chunk of change on either.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Seriously I think some of the members on this forum are finding a new interest in NASOIC. Stop yelling at him and assuming stuff, it's getting really annoying and you're being immature.

I can't believe how un-damaged your Fozzie actually is. It's strange to see those dents with the paint still perfectly in tact but since it was snow that you rolled on, I can totally see how that happened haha. Just out of curiosity, do you think you'll be taking the car in for in inspection of internal parts like the engine? Or has this already been done??

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
There really is no noticeable difference between the two. The hardware is pretty much the same and the main difference is in the compression ratio. Many here prefer the earlier generation XT because the lack of various electronic doo-dads makes it easier to mod.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Seriously I think some of the members on this forum are finding a new interest in NASOIC. Stop yelling at him and assuming stuff, it's getting really annoying and you're being immature.

I can't believe how un-damaged your Fozzie actually is. It's strange to see those dents with the paint still perfectly in tact but since it was snow that you rolled on, I can totally see how that happened haha. Just out of curiosity, do you think you'll be taking the car in for in inspection of internal parts like the engine? Or has this already been done??
Are you posting in the wrong thread or something? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
If you want an automatic, I suggest looking for one with a VTD/VDC trans. I believe this will limit you to 07/08 FSXTs. Cars101 should have better info on availability; or another member can chime in. The VTD trans is supposed to handle power better if you plan on modding the car.

If you want a manual, I'd go for the car in the best condition and has a documented service history.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
^^ +1, for an automatic car it would make a difference. For a manual, some '04-'05 models won't have the moonroof, all of the '06+ XTs have the moonroof. I wouldn't turn down a manual '04-'05 in good condition and save a few bucks.

Stan

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can't drive a manual!

I do like to eat and drive. Manuals make that harder to do. :icon_wink:

So the 07+ is the way to look?

·
Administrator
39,406 Posts
I can drive MT, but I prefer AT. :smile:

Don't limit yourself to '07+ unless you like the styling. It will cost you more than a low mile earlier year XT. I would have been very happy with an '04 XT, if I could have found one. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
noted. thanks for the advice. off to auto trader i go!

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
I can't drive a manual!
I'm handicapped and drive a manual. I think you can too. :chair::biggrin::biggrin:

Just a heads-up, the '08 FSXTs have a few styling upgrades over the '07, like black headlights and taillights, STi wheels, front bumper lip, silver roof rails.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts