Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 04 FXT, 45k miles. I have been doing alot of research since i bought it and have heard about untimely turbo death from shrapnel thrown into the turbo from the cat in the up pipe.

-Anyone know about how many miles it takes for this to start happening?
-Should I replace the up pipe asap or is this someting I can do somewhere closer to 100k miles?
-I am pretty good working on my own cars but never owned a turbocharged vehicle - i have read that it is a major pita to swap the up pipe - is this someting i should consider doing myself?

thanks for any help

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I threw an STI uppipe in when I had my timing belt and such done at around 105k. The shop had one laying around from a previous customer's sti, and quoted a pretty low price to swap it so I decided to just go for it. The original catted uppipe was in perfect shape even after all those hard miles, so I wouldn't worry about it being necessary. Its more required if you're going to be running the engine harder, or modding it and running higher boost etc. If its just going to be staying stock i wouldn't worry too much about it at such low miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts