Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting this error on a few programs:

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

The programs worked on my old 32bit XP-Pro computer. They won't install on my 64bit Vista Home Premium Laptop or 64bit Vista Ultimate Desktop.

Ideas?

It's a pack of 5 or 6 pretty important vehicle dynamics programs.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
To be honest, Vista x64 already has Windows on Windows 64 (for running 32bit apps on 64 bit OS.. basically like an emulator) but if it doesn't work, your best shot is to ask the publisher if they have a 64 bit version, which they may, but usually ask for $$ to get it.

Oh but is it not initializing the installer at all or is it installing and not initializing after install? The reason I ask is because you should technically have a x64 and a x86 program files folder. I wonder if your program is actually 32 bit or 16 bit.

OH and have you tried compatibility mode? I wonder if you copy the entire disc to a temp folder and run in compatibility mode if it'll work.

I keep forgetting about all these things in Vista.. bah Vista..

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
go get windows 7.

but seriously you should be able to run it in compatibility mode at least. Do the programs need to access hardware at all? Your best bet would probably be to dual boot one of your machines into XP 32bit.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It wont initialize at all.

I double click the Setup program, and it pops up that error.

I even ripped an ISO and tried running it, to no avail. Compatibility mode didn't change anything. Neither did copying it to the harddrive and running it from there.

I got the programs a LONG time ago, and would rather not spend the $$$$ it cost me to buy them in the first place.

Dualbooting would be an option, but I use most of the software while I'm doing CAD work in Solidworks or Pro|Engineer, or while using Matlab. All of which are built for my 64bit OS.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had been waiting for Windows 7 to become available for students, and it looks like Windows 7 Professional just became available.

I'll order it tonight and install it on the nice and clean 320GB/7200RPM harddrive I just got for my laptop.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just ordered.

I can't see any feature of Ultimate that would be worthy of the upgrade (which is good, because there is no student discount for 7-Ultimate, just 7-Professional)

·
admin
2019 Outback 3.6R ..... 98 Forester S - Atl, GA
6,728 Posts
I'm getting this error on a few programs:

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

The programs worked on my old 32bit XP-Pro computer. They won't install on my 64bit Vista Home Premium Laptop or 64bit Vista Ultimate Desktop.

Ideas?

It's a pack of 5 or 6 pretty important vehicle dynamics programs.
Have you tried this?
Right click on the exe file, choose the comparability tab, then run this program as Windows XP SP3? That has worked for me with troublesome programs. I'm running Win 7 RC1 64bit.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Yeah he said compatibility mode didn't do anything :\ I'm wondering if it is so old that it's 16-bit and 64-bit doesn't recognize 16-bit programs.

·
admin
2019 Outback 3.6R ..... 98 Forester S - Atl, GA
6,728 Posts

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Yep it was released today so we don't really know but it should IF his hardware is compatible.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The laptop is a Dell Studio XPS 16 (with the LED screen). It ranks a 5.4 on the windows scale. Should do fine with 7.

I got it from TheUltimateSteal.com

$29.99 for Win7 Professional

Looks good to me!

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So far an issue with the product key. I've been on the phone with Microsoft Tech Support for going on 50 minutes now.

It's installed and running on the new WD harddrive.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Yikes! This is a bad outcome from the first day for MS. Hopefully, Enterprise deployment won't be this cumbersome.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fixed.

Had to go to registry editor, change a value, go to CMD, do a few commands, and voila. All registered with the product code provided.

Perfect!

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,743 Posts
My #1 & #2 mod helpers installed monopoly, which has to be at least 7 years old, on our 64 bit windows 7 (64bit ultimate) machine last night.

To my surprise it was working great for them.

dm

just checked the game 1999 copyright baby!!!

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did have to use the oscidmg whatever to make the file i downloaded into a .iso

Then I installed clean (like it has been reported, and I was told, I could do).

Unfortunately, the product key I used did not work.

In my hours on the phone, I was told a ton of things, including to re-upgrade the new install with the DVD I made. I said no.

A long time later, and that was the solution. They wouldn't reissue a working key, but it worked out fine in the end. So long as the copy remains legit, I'm happy.

I will say this, whether it's the new HD, or whether it's 7, my laptop is NOTABLY faster.

It is odd that it says only 3.75GB of my 4GB of RAM is available, even though I'm using x64...

Oh well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts