Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
08 2.5xt sport
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '08 FXT is out of warranty and needs help. Runs out of breath between 5-5500 rpm, looking for turbo suggestions. VF22, VF48 or ?? Liked 68HTA but won't work w/o maj intake mods. TD05 with 7 cm2 will spool quicker than TD05 w/ 8 cm2 nozzle but won't flow w/o choking at high rpm. Does 16g flow enough air or do I need a 18g or 20g. Like mitsu because they can be rebuilt for next to nothing and a IHI can;t be rebuilt. Any feedback on on ZAGE turbos?

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,325 Posts
It would be all about what numbers in the end & how much money you want to spend!

I am super happy with my STi VF39 but others are not & have gone larger.A lot of your issue is your factory small turbo.Evan with a tune you would be amazed at what the little factory turbo can do.

But again numbers you want & money you have to spend is a big factor!

joe r

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
lol, love the thread title! lots of things to consider here. a basic vfXX turbo upgrade will be the easiest on the pocket. anything larger will require injectors and intake modifications like you already mentioned, among other little odds and ends that come w/ the territory(ie: tune/boost control/fuel pump/etc)

if you do plan to go bigger, i kinda like the hta68 right now.. the possibilities are endless! try to figure out your goals for the car, itll help you pick a turbo easier... dont forget you dont want to go too big, because then other problems may arise(tranny).

btw - ive never heard of a "zage" turbo and id stay far away.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Try to get a ride in a nice VF* car if you can to see if it will work for you, I'm happy with mine. Find a tuner and see what they suggest. I'd skip the 16G.

IHI turbos last a while, and when the time comes you can just get another one or upgrade. The power is good compared to TD04, big change, and it's plenty capable of destroying your clutch and/or tranny.

Stan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts