Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester "S" 4EAT
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I have been on here awhile doing my studies and looking for the model and year I wanted to try and get. I am looking for a forester to use as My daily driver and to pull my light weight lawn care trailer and mower with.

from what I have read the auto trans is best for pulling and since my car is parked in the hot sun a lot when mowing I wanted one with the sun roof. I learned when I had a 4 runner that the sun roof really let the heat out fast to cool the car back down after a day of mowing.

and I had to find one that would not break the bank and not to major of miles.

so I set my sights to find a 2001 or 2002 Forester S.

as of today I found my car. I will be picking it up tomorrow, it is a 2001 Forester S has 126,333 miles on it. had the timing belt and water pump changed at 97K miles. no mention of head gaskets being redone so will keep an eye on that. only 2 previous owners.

I am getting it for a total of $6,327.50

I can't wait. I have been driving a Subaru legacy L wagon that has 282,000+ miles on it. 4th gear is gone and it jumps out of 5th when ya take your foot off the gas...lol

anyway I would like to hear from other 2001 S model owners that can tell me of any issues to keep an eye out for.

thanks

I can't wait to drive this puppy home. yep I am excited.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 sf6 now w/choo choo 4EAT
511 Posts
Hey there glad to see you are sticking with subie!

I have a 2001 S Premium Forester. My headgasket went at around 125,000 miles, but that doesn't mean yours will so dont worry yourself to death over it.

Last month I replaced the fuel filler pipe on my 2001. It tends to get rusted out due to poor design by subaru. This repair is around 140$-180$ in parts. If you are buying your car from a dealership I would tell them you would like the fuel filler pipe inspected for rust. This is very common problem with 98-02 body style.

These are the only two major(filler pipe isnt major but headgasket was) problems that I have had with my car that I feel can be attributed to poor design by Subaru. I have 150,000 miles on mine and the auto tranny is still in good working order despite me beating on it all the time. Feel free to PM me if you have questions!

oh almost forgot- I love my sunroof, it is huge, and it cools off the car very quickly indeed!!

·
Registered
2001 Forester "S" 4EAT
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey there glad to see you are sticking with subie!

I have a 2001 S Premium Forester.

I have 150,000 miles on mine and the auto tranny is still in good working order despite me beating on it all the time. Feel free to PM me if you have questions!

oh almost forgot- I love my sunroof, it is huge, and it cools off the car very quickly indeed!!
what do you mean by beating on it? like power shifting or just driving it hard?

thanks for the info, I know I won't sleep tonight. I loved reading of all the fun you guys have with these Foresters and the mods that can be done to them.

what kind of gas mileage should i expect if i keep my foot out of it?

any ideas to help the transmission last longer when pulling a trailer?

looking forward to posting about the fun I expect to have with mine.

a buddy just saw a forester that had a bumper sticker that said you have just been passed by a toaster. he about fell out laughing.
he said it passed him doing about 80.

WNC thanks for the tip on the gas filler I will check that over when i buy it.

any other things i need to look for would be great.

·
Registered
2001 Forester "S" 4EAT
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum from Niagara Falls! :bacon:
great looking Forester you scored yourself there.
Thanks I will post some pics of it when I get it home. going to pic it up later today,have to wait for a buddy to give me a ride to Raleigh to pick it up.

I am to excited. here I am 48 years old and feel like a kid waiting to get a new toy...lol

·
Registered
511 Posts
that is the exact model/color I have. welcome to the red team LOL

Regular ATF changes should be good enough to keep your tranny in good shape for a while. I use all the gears on my auto frequently, and am known to zip around on dirt/backcountry abandoned roads (safely of course).

I think I get around 22-26MPG, but my exhaust+high flow filter/hybrid CAI add a little MPG as long as I keep my foot of the pedal. I noticed a jump in MPG when I fixed my fuel filler pipe.

I dont think pulling a small lawn trailer with a couple lawn mowers could do any harm, I put 600lbs of clay in the back of my Foz all the time LOL. I am not a mechanic but I dont see pulling a couple hundred LBS around damaging your tranny at all.
Maybe somebody with more knowledge about towing could give you some pointers/advice.

have fun driving your new car!

·
Registered
2001 Forester "S" 4EAT
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I am disappointed,I drove to Raleigh to pick up this Forester and it was a POS, it had dents in it, scratches all over it, drivers seat look like a cat scratching post. CD player did not work. engine had a oily rags stuck under the top rad. hose, and it was a quart low on oil. head light lenses where fogged up and yellow looking. and the trans pan was covered in orange gasket sealer and looked oily. also the plastic pan under the engine was hanging half off.

I just had to pass on it, so my search is back on.

needless to say I am disappointed. :(

·
Registered
2020 Silver Sport
166 Posts
Sorry to read about your disappointment. Don't give up. Take your time and keep looking. Patience and prudence pay off.

·
Registered
2001 Forester "S" 4EAT
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOO Hoo Part two

I am happy to say after a 100 mile 1 way drive to hickory n.c. I am now the proud owner of a premo 1 owner 107,475 mile burgandy 2001 Forester S with the sun roof. will post some pics as soon as I down load them from the Camera.

this is the first time I have ridden in a Fozzie much less driven one... It's Love. it is all I expected and more.

WOO HOO I am a Fuzzie owner.

I have driven 115 miles and did not even burn a 1/4 tank of gas :)

Yep I am happy, now to learn what everything does..lol no manual and no key FOB. anyone know how to disable the alarm eekk I found out the hard way it has one...lol

·
Registered
511 Posts
awesome!
glad to see you found the car you wanted! post up some pics when you get a chance. Is it the same color as the other car you posted a pic of? or is it a deeper red??

·
Registered
2001 Forester "S" 4EAT
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
awesome!
glad to see you found the car you wanted! post up some pics when you get a chance. Is it the same color as the other car you posted a pic of? or is it a deeper red??
Here are some pics of it, this car is sweet,I could not beleive it when I saw it. in side just as clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Forester "S" 4EAT
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
got them posted now had to resize them.

·
Registered
511 Posts
nice looking car. I never see them with that grill(Sports grill right?), its a rare option. Lots of folks dont like it, I love it though.

·
Registered
2001 Forester "S" 4EAT
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nice looking car. I never see them with that grill(Sports grill right?), its a rare option. Lots of folks dont like it, I love it though.
Really I am still learning I just thought it was stock.
wow thats cool I like Rare things.
any other info about these you want to pass on I am glad to learn.

looks like I got a rare one for sure. I can't beleive how clean it is inside and out, I even put it on ramps and looked under it at the car lot. the lady said I was the first to ever do that, happy to say it is clean under it also. I think it should give me very good service, car fax did say it had a minor right side rear damage at one time but hey I can't tell,

even the lady at the bank that appraised it, came back in impressed.

I am one happy camper right now. still getting the feel of it, it is a big change from my ratty 1990 legacy.
and the stereo sounds great. I now why every one here loves their Fozzies.

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,736 Posts
Welcome to the Subaru family:finally. Enjoy that new-to-you Fozzy.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts