Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forrester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Subaru Forester with automatic transmission which I just used to run some errands. I was driving about an hour and, when I parked it, I could not shift it into park. All the other gears worked fine and it had no problem shifting gears on the highway.
I drove it home, again without any issues, but when I put it in my garage it again would not shift into park. I'm going to go out right now and check the transmission fluid but there was no dashboard indicator saying it is low.
Anyone have any idea what may be wrong?

·
Registered
2008 Forrester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shift Lock

Thanks for the tip. I was just reading about this in my manual.

Any ideas as to why it's not letting me shift into park, though?

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,949 Posts
Take it to the shop.. This has happened three times (or two, can't remember) to my mom's '03 forester and they said it was due to shifting too fast. There's something in it that may have broke if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
2000 Outback
1 Posts
2000 won't shift in reverse or park

I know this post is old, but a perfect fit for my success story. 2000 Outback. CEL was on since I bought the car, and would go off on occasion. One day driving home, the transmission started not shifting properly. I pulled into the gas station and attempted to put it into park to shut the car off. The shifter would not go into reverse or park. I could not remove the key. Car also would not start back up. I could hear some clicking sound under the dash but not starting. I went under the car (while off) and fiddled with the transmission linkage and was able to get the car started again, and put into drive and went home. I was fine with this for a while. But the inspection ran out. Then, I was driving it home one day, and the engine all of a sudden started stuttering heavily and lost all power. Check engine light started flashing, too. It had not flashed before. So, I started by replacing the fuel pump and the strainer. No luck. I then replaced both O2 sensors. Still, no luck. Then, I decided as a last effort, I would change the coil, plug wires, and plugs. That worked! I started the car and was running better than ever. Craziest part was that the car was then able to shift into reverse and park again, and I could take the key out. I did this several times to be sure, and it's still all good. Been over a month now. I have no idea why this would fix the shifting thing but it did. Hope this helps the next guy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts