Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm a new Subaru owner - just bought a new '14 Forester Limited.

I want to put in my Valentine radar detector and wire this directly so it turns on when the car is on, and off when the car is off.

I know there are a few wiring harnesses behind the sunglass holder in the roof. However, even with the service manuals, I am having a tough time figuring out which wires are on a relay and will be on / off with the car, and also which wires or contact points would be ground.

Has anyone already done this in a '14? Any suggestions for which wire(s) would be best to tap into? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
I'm a new Subaru owner - just bought a new '14 Forester Limited.
So far, so good.

I want to put in my Valentine radar detector and wire this directly so it turns on when the car is on, and off when the car is off. I know there are a few wiring harnesses behind the sunglass holder in the roof. However, even with the service manuals, I am having a tough time figuring out which wires are on a relay and will be on / off with the car, and also which wires or contact points would be ground. Has anyone already done this in a '14? Any suggestions for which wire(s) would be best to tap into? Thanks!!!
I haven't done this. I don't own a '14. In my 06 XT, I wanted to wire in a USB power supply - a small gizmo into which you put 12volts and out of which you get 5volts, with a female USB socket included. This is something like what your have in mind.

Easy solution: splice into the wiring to the 12volt dash socket (aka the cigarette lighter socket). This 12v socket is wired through a plug which is located behind the console. The feed to the 12volt socket turns on with accessories, turns off with 'off".

My USB power supply was physically attached to the lower console, so I tapped in on the outboard side of that plug. In your situation, depending on where you locate your radar detector, you might tap in on the inboard-side of the plug - basically permanently wired. What you put on the other end of this wiring is up to you, but you do put a physical plug somewhere - maybe in the dash cubby - so you can disconnect the unit (say, if you visit Virginia ;-). If you plan to mount your unit in the overhead, then route the wiring up one of the A-pillars to the overhead bin area.

The wiring to the 12volt socket is quite robust. Both power and ground are included.

p.s. The radar detector was invented in Dayton - allegedly at Wight-Patterson AFB. The first workable unit became the 'Fuzzbuster'.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far, so good.

I haven't done this. I don't own a '14. In my 06 XT, I wanted to wire in a USB power supply - a small gizmo into which you put 12volts and out of which you get 5volts, with a female USB socket included. This is something like what your have in mind.

Easy solution: splice into the wiring to the 12volt dash socket (aka the cigarette lighter socket). This 12v socket is wired through a plug which is located behind the console. The feed to the 12volt socket turns on with accessories, turns off with 'off".

My USB power supply was physically attached to the lower console, so I tapped in on the outboard side of that plug. In your situation, depending on where you locate your radar detector, you might tap in on the inboard-side of the plug - basically permanently wired. What you put on the other end of this wiring is up to you, but you do put a physical plug somewhere - maybe in the dash cubby - so you can disconnect the unit (say, if you visit Virginia ;-). If you plan to mount your unit in the overhead, then route the wiring up one of the A-pillars to the overhead bin area.

The wiring to the 12volt socket is quite robust. Both power and ground are included.

p.s. The radar detector was invented in Dayton - allegedly at Wight-Patterson AFB. The first workable unit became the 'Fuzzbuster'.

Dave - thanks for the suggestion. This was exactly how I wired it in my old Chevy Malibu. However, since the Forester has a few harnesses right near the rear view mirror behind the sunglass holder, I figured it would be easier if I could tap into one of these. I then wouldn't have to run wires through the A pillar. I'll do that as a last resort, but if anyone has any suggestions for which wires I could use in the rear view mirror harness, it would be greatly appreciated! :)

·
On Island Time
2014 Forester 2.5i Prem. 6MT
550 Posts
Haven't had it apart other than to do the auto dimming mirror, but a switched power wire should be trivial to find with a multimeter.

·
Registered
2002 Sequoia 4 speed auto
176 Posts
Do the map lights go off when you lock the vehicle?

If so, that would be an option.

I'm sure the preferred configuration would be power with ignition key.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
271 Posts
I used this MirrorTap.com in my '14 touring to hardwire my Passort RD. I just randomly shoved the MirrorTap prongs into the openings in the back of my HomeLink mirror until it worked properly. The only weird thing is that it quickly cycles power off/on when I enter reverse..

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT 8 speed
113 Posts
Why not get a test light and just keep connectors till you find one that works with acc?

I should add, that you should use a test light on the wire you intend to use, no matter who the source is.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,633 Posts
I wouldn't recommend arbitrarily connecting to wiring up there without a good understanding of how things are wired. Connecting to a circuit that comes from a module could overload the module and cost big bucks. We've seen it happen here.

Even if it seems to test OK with a meter, its behavior under the additional load of the radar detector could be quite different.

·
Registered
14 Forester XT CVT
153 Posts
I wouldn't recommend arbitrarily connecting to wiring up there without a good understanding of how things are wired. Connecting to a circuit that comes from a module could overload the module and cost big bucks. We've seen it happen here.

Even if it seems to test OK with a meter, its behavior under the additional load of the radar detector could be quite different.
This is very true. You can pay a small amount to subaru to access the technical info site online. You can download PDF drawings of all circuits and electrical systems in the car. Most circuits in the car are sized to their intended load. You always need to be careful tapping in for additional loads. If you have a switched wire you really want to use and also want to ensure electrical safety use a relay.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,633 Posts
+++

But I wouldn't even use a relay on a circuit powered from a module of unknown current rating. Relays typically draw over 100 ma, which might not be too much. But we don't know for sure. And then there's the issue of inductive kick and the need for a back diode, again to protect the unknown insides of the module.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mirror Tap looks interesting. Do you remember which wires you tapped into (colors)?

The only wires I've been able to find so far are some that switch on when the lights to on - so the radar detector now only goes on when it's dark and the headlights are on (or when I turn on the headlights manually).

I did download the PDFs, too, but am having trouble figuring out all of the diagrams (despite having an Electrical Engineering degree!) If anyone has any experience with them or if there is somewhere to get a simple tutorial on how to read them all it would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
271 Posts
The HomeLink mirror has a ~20 pin plug that connects to it, I just shoved the prongs into openings randomly. It eventually worked. No splicing required. Without that HomeLink plug I would have had to splice, sorry I can't help on that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited Automatic
22 Posts
I just wired my Valentine One to the same map lights (fxt 09) and am having the same problem with the radar turning on when the lights are off (the blue wire). I'm contemplating tapping into the sunroof.

Have you found a solution yet? I just have a standard mirror so that's not an option :/

·
Registered
2007 XT 5 speed
25 Posts
I use an "add a fuse". This makes for easy install and removal. I've been doing it for years on multiple cars without any problems.

The slots closest to the tangs are for the original fuse. The ones near the top are for the add on, in this case the V1.

Add-A-Fuse Mini/ATM Fuse Tap

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0XT Limited CVT
416 Posts
FYI. In case you ever plan on driving North to Canada, don't permanently wire the unit without the ability to unplug and remove it. In many provinces in Canada they are illegal, even if turned off. Possession is subject to seizure and a fine. Radar detector detectors are also illegal. More details at Radar Detector Canadian Buyer's Guide and FAQ - KMPH.ca . I understand that some states have made them illegal too. More may follow.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0XT Limited CVT
416 Posts
The only weird thing is that it quickly cycles power off/on when I enter reverse..
I wonder if they ever had plans to put the backup camera in the rear view mirror. That might explain a wiring harness that cycles when shifting into reverse.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts