Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '98 Forester...looking to install an aftermarket wiper delay switch. Have installed before in other cars so I am very familiar. What I can't figure out is what is the polarity? I have located the harness with the following wires:

red, yellow/blue, black, white
red/blue, black/blue, green/yellow, white/blue

Only two wires were always hot: yellow/blue, black,when the ignition was On...all others there was no sign of current.

I am searching for the wire that controls the low speed of the wiper. Thanks for any help!!

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,621 Posts
It's not going to be as easy as you had hoped. The diagram says that there's a module within the switch that is driven by the switch setting and then directly controls the wipers based on what it's told by the switch. There are no wires coming out of that module that are identified as high or low speed, though it is uncertain what the purpose of all three might be. Even on the switch side, there's nothing that uniquely says low speed. Low and high are logic combinations there.

Here's what it looks like. The two wires going out the top are for the windshield washer.

I've deleted your post in the Hodges Subaru forum. We don't encourage duplicate posting, and anyway that was the wrong place.

·
Registered
2000 2 Outbacks 1Man , 1 Auto
312 Posts
Hi sd, From bb's diagram and what you have measured yourself then think the three outputs from the intermittent module of the combination switch will be as follows;

S1 - is actually a 12v input for the module via the relay contact in the wiper motor
S2 - 12v positive supply for the motor self park facility . (Which is why its always live ).

S3 - main supply for the motor ( Speed of motor depending on what voltage supplied by module).

·
Registered
1998 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since the delay switch that I want to install is spliced into the low speed wire, am I to assume than this can not be done on my Forester? Any suggestions?

Also, thanks for the previous responses and BB for deleting the duplicate post.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,621 Posts
You could try sticking it in between the module and the wipers and see what happens. Put a meter on each of the wires and see that's there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts