Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had this problem? The left wiper (the one that wipes the driver's side of the windshield) has just stopped working. It was working fine, and now it just lays there. The right one works fine.

I have a 2009 Forester X Limited. I'm also in an area that is nowhere near a Subaru dealership/service station. I usually go to Fitzgerald Auto Mall in MD, but I'm up in Western NY for Grad school right now. Naturally, the day it stops working, it's raining!

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
either the wiper arm is stripped (or loose) on the mounting stud OR the linkage under there came loose since the other side is still working. (assuming they still have typical setup with one motor and linkage to connect both sides together).

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
The motor might be stuck. Try turning on the wipers and helping it along to see if that gets it going.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried helping it along. No luck. The base of the wiper (the part attached to the car) seemed to be much looser than the passenger side wiper though. Is that something a mechanically inept person can fix, or do I need to plan a trip to Jamestown for service?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
warranty service?
No idea. I didn't buy any of the extended warranties. I bought the car in August of 2008. I'd have to check. I usually bring it to the same dealer that I bought it from, mainly because they do great work. I'm just too far away right now (7 hours from home).

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
I think you are more than just capable of determining the cause and performing a possible solution.

Not knowing if the 09-10's are any different, there should be a cover over the wiper arm where it attaches to the wiper mechanism. You should be able to lift/flip this cover up to expose the bolt/nut that holds the wiper on. If you can see what I am trying to describe, see if the wiper arm will lift up or that you can seat the wiper arm so that it is firmly on the mechanism. Tighten the bolt/nut(see I don't know what your model has) and have someone turn the wipers on while you observe them in motion. If the wiper still does not move, try to get it to a dealership nearby.
The vehicle is still under warranty so no worries, have them take a look, possibly all it needed was tightening, but you can ask them to check if the splines that the wiper fits on are stripped or worn, if so they should replace the wiper mechanism.

Keep us up to date here with what you find the solution to be. Good Luck

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Same thing happened to me this morning, after the most recent snow storm. Warmed the car up for 10 min while getting dressed to melt the snow. went out dropped the wipers onto the windshield since I had them raised to prevent them sticking and jumped in the car fastened my belt turned on the wipers and really! passengers side clears the window but nothing on the drivers side I figure I forgot to drop it all the way, so I jump out and see the wiper arm hanging over the front fender right away I remember this thread and like damm, Im pressed for time and need to get to work so away I go with the broken wiper. made an appointment at the dealer to take it in tomorrow, but when I got home I popped that little cap to investigate and found the nut holding the arm on was very loose. So I set the position of the wiper and tightened it back down and all seems well,, gotta love an easy fix.... :woohoo:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Arm stripped

The same has happened to my 2010 Forester, The 1st time I tightened the nut down but it became loose again after which I removed the arm and the cast alum. arm appears to be missing any splines left in it. I tightened back down again and I think it is a temporary fix. Any luck getting this covered under the warranty? I will make an appointment and get ready for a fight!

·
Registered
2001 S Premium
228 Posts
same just happened to me, i started my 2009 (xt limited) of a 33/32 degree day with lots of fog as it had rained all night. turns out my wipers were frozen to the windshield which they didnt appear to be. the passenger one broke free and started oscilating on its own but the dirvers side did not.

broke the drivers side free and it kinda works but has alot of play and sometimes gets stuck under the passenger side base.

thanks for this old thread, lets hope its not stripped nerlings on the wiper arm, thats gotta be expensive for a new arm...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts