Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0XT Limited CVT
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now doesn't that just rot your socks. Thought I'd be wise and replace the OEM wiper blades with winter wipers (normal practice in Canada and recommended by Subaru in the Owner's Manual). However, the local parts stores and the blade makers I checked on-line don't have size charts that include the '14 and Subaru failed to include the wiper blade sizes in the manual. They go into great details about how to replace them but not what to replace them with. I had to find a measuring tape somewhere in my frozen garage, don my snowshoes, dig out a flashlight, and then go chop through the ice and snow on the Forester to measure the blades. If anyone else is considering the same, I'll save you the trouble. The blade sizes on my 2.0XT with Eyesight (in case that makes a difference) are:

Driver - 26"
Passenger - 17"
Rear - 14"

Now to go warm up...

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
366 Posts
I have the 14 XT 2.0 service manual download and in the wiper section there is also no mention of the wiper sizes.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza, 2003 Bugeye Sport, 2010 Base, 2014 Base, 2015 Premium, 2017 Limited, 2020 Touring
1,020 Posts
Driver - 26" Passenger - 17" Rear - 14" [/QUOTE said:
26" is a mighty big blade for sure.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Ltd. CVT
1,779 Posts
Has anyone found a full set of replacement (winter) blades? I can't find winters anywhere.

·
Registered
2009 2.5xt 6 Speed Swap version 8 6 speed sti trans with r180
4,150 Posts
I have trouble finding the rear wiper in anything but plain models. I prefer the RainX Latitudes but haven't seen one for it.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Ltd CVT
24 Posts
The blade sizes on my 2.0XT with Eyesight (in case that makes a difference) are:

Driver - 26"
Passenger - 17"
Rear - 14"

Now to go warm up...

Thank you for this.

Now if I could just choose which set of wipers...

Any forum members willing to chime in on their favourites?
I've heard good things about both Bosch ICON and PIAA Super Silicone.

·
Registered
2014 FXT
123 Posts
I have trouble finding the rear wiper in anything but plain models. I prefer the RainX Latitudes but haven't seen one for it.
I prefer the bracket-less wipers, like the Bosch ICON. So, for the rear wiper, I followed this thread and changed out the wiper arm to something that will accommodate the ICON. did this on my 2006 Foz, 2008 OB, 2012 OB, and 014 FXT. Basically, the 13" ICON works great with this.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited Automatic
23 Posts
Will fit?

I prefer the bracket-less wipers, like the Bosch ICON. So, for the rear wiper, I followed this thread and changed out the wiper arm to something that will accommodate the ICON. did this on my 2006 Foz, 2008 OB, 2012 OB, and 014 FXT. Basically, the 13" ICON works great with this.
thanks for this!

So, the Bosch Icons will fit the front on a 14' as-is? There is no winter wiper available for the rear as-is?

I just got my 14 a week ago...are the wipers from the factory worth changing to winter blades? From looking at the description of the ICON they say they are all-weather....not specialty winter blades.

·
Registered
2014 FXT
123 Posts
I don't use "winter" blades. I use ICON all the time. The problem is that Bosch hasn't put out a fitment for the 2014 Foz yet, so I'm stuck with the stock blades for now.

The rear? The 13" ICON (and many other bracket-less wipers) work ONLY with the replacement wiper arm indicated in the attached thread. Replacing the wiper arm gives you an arm with a different type attachment for the wipers - one that will fit ICON, etc..

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't use "winter" blades. I use ICON all the time. The problem is that Bosch hasn't put out a fitment for the 2014 Foz yet, so I'm stuck with the stock blades for now.

The rear? The 13" ICON (and many other bracket-less wipers) work ONLY with the replacement wiper arm indicated in the attached thread. Replacing the wiper arm gives you an arm with a different type attachment for the wipers - one that will fit ICON, etc..
Nitrojedi has the ICON's on his 2014 Forester. Waiting to verify if he used the 26A and 17A
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...r-didnt-help-recent-storm-279017/#post2925993

·
Registered
23 Posts
Trico?

Nitrojedi has the ICON's on his 2014 Forester. Waiting to verify if he used the 26A and 17A
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...r-didnt-help-recent-storm-279017/#post2925993
Great post. I'm outside Chicago with my new FoZ (stock wipers) and my wife said the wipers froze the other day. It was very cold but it sounded worse than it should have been. The aftermarket wipers on my (non Subaru) car did not freeze.

I'm also looking at these:

Trico Ice Exact Fit Winter Wiper Blade, 26" Part No: 35-260
Trico Ice Exact Fit Winter Wiper Blade, 17" Part No: 35-170

They are on Amazon (Prime too) but I'm thinking of picking them up at Advanced Auto Parts. There is a 15% coupon and in-store pickup.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Great post. I'm outside Chicago with my new FoZ (stock wipers) and my wife said the wipers froze the other day. It was very cold but it sounded worse than it should have been. The aftermarket wipers on my (non Subaru) car did not freeze.

I'm also looking at these:

Trico Ice Exact Fit Winter Wiper Blade, 26" Part No: 35-260
Trico Ice Exact Fit Winter Wiper Blade, 17" Part No: 35-170

They are on Amazon (Prime too) but I'm thinking of picking them up at Advanced Auto Parts. There is a 15% coupon and in-store pickup.
How's it going? I feel bad for people in Chicago and Boston. Seems like there is no break from snow storms for you guys. Then again, people on these boards are probably excited to get snow to drive their Subie in :biggrin: My brother has a 2013 Outback and is always excited when NJ is forecasted to get snow.

Thanks for the heads up on the Advanced Auto Parts 15% coupon. I haven't tried the Trico Ice blades. I had experience with the ICON's on my CRV and even though Bosch doesn't promote them as winter blades they did well in the winter time. If you do decide to try out the Trico Ice Blades let us know what your experience with them are.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Nitrojedi is using the Bosch Icon 26A and 17B. He suggested trying 17C (I believe he meant 17A). Here's why he suggested to try something other than 17B:

"... i would recommend a 17C instead, as the last inch of my 17B doesn't make the best contact lower on the windshield.... either not enough flex, or 1" too long.........."

·
Registered
00/4 Forester S, X Auto, Auto
318 Posts
Going on 30 years in auto parts I'll let Ya'll know an easy fix on any car. Measure the blade, make sure the mount matches the arm on your car and you'll have what you need no matter what a catalog nor web site says. About 10% of listings out there are wrong to start.

I see European stuff all the time where Trico, Rain-X etc won't have a listing yet get customers perfect fit without going to pay $$$ to dealerships just because someone didn't take a few minutes to help them.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just picked up Bosch Icon 26A and 17A and they fit and work. Will see how they do tomorrow. NJ looks like it's getting hit with another snow storm tomorrow and forecasts are stating 4-6 inches. I used the Icon's on my CR-V and didn't have freezing issues in snow storms like I did with the OEM wipers on the Forester.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ended up buying the Bosch Icon 26a and 17a as well. It appears they have about almost a 1/2" less reach. Nothing to worry about it's on the very top edge. I noticed this from the previous wiper marks. These are simple to install; I always struggled a bit with the ones you need to pry back the plastic tab.

I'll update everyone on the performance compared to stock wipers. I'm in the perfect testing zone this year....1 hour NW of Chicago. They are saying 3 to 9 inches tonight. That's a big range! lol.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The 26A and 17A worked out great during the snow storm yesterday morning that dropped 6-8 inches in NJ. Didn't have any freezing issues or streaking like I did with OEM wipers. This morning with the melting snow and salt getting kicked up by cars in front of me, I didn't have to use a lot of washer fluid like I had to with the OEM blades.

·
Registered
04 WRX Manual
82 Posts
i heard great things about PIAA Forza Hybrids...they looks awesome too...my friend has them on his cars...expensive but still very consistent.

Rain-X Fusions and Latitudes are also really good too...price is much more reasonable. I ran Latitudes and had to replace after two years of 24/7 NYC climate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Bosch icons are working nicley. Also note, I'm not sure they put in the best wiper fluid. I like the RainX stuff that is rated to -25 (or whatever it is). I think that will help as well because I do notice the stuff from the factory freezing up a bit at times. But it's been less than 10 degrees here for many weeks! Not normal.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts