Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To save money, I am planing to just get the inserts.

Is there a "good" reason to get the complete wiper blade & insert?

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
10 seconds to replace it?

Doesn't come loose, or take several minutes (at least) in order to slide them in...

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
Idk I bought just the rubber for my front blades.. was pretty simple but probally won't do it again next time

·
Registered
07 FXT Sports 5MT
360 Posts
full blade is 10x easier to install.

they dont cost all that much... what? like $5 each...

totally worth my time personally.

Jamie Thomas
Jamie at chaplins.com
[url=https://www.subarugenuineparts.com][img]https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/images/design/logo.gif[/img][/url]
[url]www.subiegal.com[/url]

·
Premium Member
? ? ?
692 Posts
Just replace the entire wiper...no mess and no fuss. Wally-Mart sells them for $2.50 per wiper. I just replace mine every 3 months.

Michael

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,070 Posts
I just got a set of Icon Blades from Bosch, I'm gonna put them on this weekend and do a small page. I put a set on a friends car yesterday and from what I can tell these will work out nicely.

http://tinyurl.com/cfph2

Someone here posted some pics but I can't find them now.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
For the rear wiper on our XT (I don't know if it's different for other trim lines), replacing the insert is a complete PITA. The housing is rigid plastic with no flex, and you can't remove or bend the two end tabs that retain the insert (to keep it from sliding off either end). I went to two different auto parts stores for a replacement unit and they tried to sell me "exact-fit" blades that aren't even remotely close - won't mount on the arm, wrong length.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you happen to have tons of patience and have practiced up on using your swear words, go ahead and get the insert for the rear blade; else replace the whole unit. My dealer wants $16 for it, probably too much. I'll check with some of the vendors who post here and see if they have better deals.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,070 Posts
For the rear blade it's pretty easy to change just the rubber insert:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4305

However I have not found an aftermarket one that will work. I'm guessing they are out there though. There is a groove in the OEM blade where the holder finger hooks into; It needs to be a particular width. I've tried a few aftermarket blades and the groove is too narrow, because of that the blade will not slide in the fingers. This prevents the blade from flexing as it travels over the surface of the back window. That leaves spots that aren't touched by the blade. At this point I've only been able to get an OEM repalcement to work properly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT touring CVT
981 Posts
For the rear wiper, you don't have to try to hard to break the whole arm off the car. So far I have had to have two replaced under warranty simply because the wiper developed a crack in the plastic where it bolts up. It has a splined metal insert molded or pressed into the plastic and with enough stress it will snap. The first one broke when I was trying to clear the rear window of ice and snow. The second I have no idea.
As far as front blades I would just replace the entire blade. I bought a set of Michelin wipers at W-M for $12. They are working extremely well. Much better than the replacement inserts I had in previously.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
What you describe is exactly what I found - no amount of shifting the insert around (on the one I ended up getting) would allow me to get a fully clean wipe since the blade doesn't set flush for the whole length and doesn't have much flex. When I go to pick up my assembly, I'll see if they have just the part number you posted on SM. I think a combination of the skinny channel you mentioned and the inflexibility of the blade holder itself were the cause of me having so much trouble getting that darn insert in there.

One nice thing is that assembly pops off and on very quickly, no tools required. Good stuff there, at least.

G

·
Back Wiper Insert

I just replaced the back wiper insert, and it wasn't too bad a job. The longer blade "bow," or whatever you call it (i.e., the part with the slot that fits onto the wiper arm), snaps into the two shorter parts that actually hold the insert. After taking the blade off the car, I used a small screwdriver and (very) gently pried off one end of the "bow" where it meets one of the pieces holding the insert, slipped the old insert out of the holder, put the new insert in the holder and snapped it back together. One caveat - since the whole blade is plastic, make sure the temperature is warm enough (I did mine inside the house).

Hope this helps.

Joe

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
Prior to replacement, a little maintenance may help delay the PITA replacement...finding a good glass cleaner (alcohol/ether based) will help several ways...first take a single-edged razor blade (yeah, I know, old technology that's getting harder to find) and run it at a very oblique (nearly flat) angle to remove stubborn road grime spots (often causing the blade wear). Second, follow up with good glass cleaner and fresh new cotton towel/rag and thoroughly clean windshields. Third, take cotton towel/rag and infuse it with good glass cleaner, and wipe the rubber blades repeatedly until thoroughly cleaned.
This should extend the life of your replacement/blade, and provide film free wipes! Despite all the crap that ends up on our windows (car wax from auto washes, road grime, rainX and other such preps, road salts from winter deicing)!!
-Quick

·
Registered
398 Posts
Does anybody make a good refill anymore?

Bosch used to, but now at local stores I can only find complete units...

I'd rather buy the refils as they are usually 1/4 of the price, and not hard to change...

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
Go to Walmart and buy Lexor brand inserts....They're inexpensive and work very well. Been using them for over 5 yrs now on Subaru's and Toyota's.
Forester uses the "B" insert size. There are 4 different types IIRC, by width and side insert grooves.

·
Registered
398 Posts
shouldn't there be 2 different sizes, one for passenger side, one for driver side?

and almost anything should be better than the stock blades... they are horrid...

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
DanzBorin said:
Does anybody make a good refill anymore?

Bosch used to, but now at local stores I can only find complete units...

I'd rather buy the refils as they are usually 1/4 of the price, and not hard to change...
And less waste filling up our landfills!

·
Registered
52 Posts
3 different sizes, at least for the SF type Forester. (incl. rear)

DanzBorin said:
shouldn't there be 2 different sizes, one for passenger side, one for driver side?

and almost anything should be better than the stock blades... they are horrid...
3 different sizes, at least for the SF type Forester. (incl. rear)
I changed my wipers today, and as I have never seen anything that mention Subaru Forester in the usual stores, I bought orginal Subaru ones.
Strange thing: Passenger side existing one was a bit longer than the new one ..
:)

Now, I need a good source of inserts. :D

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
Go with the new blades much faster to do

·
Registered
259 Posts
Peaty said:
For the rear blade it's pretty easy to change just the rubber insert:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4305

However I have not found an aftermarket one that will work. I'm guessing they are out there though. There is a groove in the OEM blade where the holder finger hooks into; It needs to be a particular width. I've tried a few aftermarket blades and the groove is too narrow, because of that the blade will not slide in the fingers. This prevents the blade from flexing as it travels over the surface of the back window. That leaves spots that aren't touched by the blade. At this point I've only been able to get an OEM repalcement to work properly.
I just picked up the Subaru REAR wiper blade. The new version does not have the little rubber end stopper as in the picture. It looks very similar to the Anco Narrow refill. I saved the old one and will look around for a cheaper refill.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts