Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,939 Posts
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :wink:

That's kind of a personal preference & I'd guess you'll get lots of recommendations! I've been very happy with studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 4 winter tires. I believe they have a new version out now. They're on the spendy side, but very good on snow & ice (if studded). :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Niagara Falls!
There really isn't an easy answer to your question... but the best winter tires for a Forester are likely the best snow tires available, for which you have a couple options.
Do you have a specific budget?

·
Registered
2010 Forester
12 Posts
where do you live, too
Hi, i am also new to the forum - picked up forester yesterday, i live in Toronto and thinking of getting Michelin X-ice X2 215/65/16 - you thoughts? Other options blizzak ws-60?

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
I'm pretty happy with the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D's that we have for both our '09 Forester and '06 Accord. We've had >46" of snow so far this month (ref: IAD), and they've been near flawless on the Subaru. Snow was too deep for a while to drive the Accord, but, once we were dug out, it too has been fine.

One note: The Dunlops are noisier then the OEM Yoko's on the Subaru, but quieter than the soon-to-be-replaced after-market crap tires (Douglas Sport GT-H) on the Honda when we bought it used.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Hi and welcome!!

If you use the search option you will find an incredible amount of information on this topic.

I run Firestone Winterforce because my budget is puny, I do like them.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
I am really liking the General Altimax Arctics I picked up. Terrific improvement in traction over the oem all-seasons. Mine are not studded, that would probably be overkill where I live. Whatever winter tire you buy, if you wait near the end of the season (well I guess we're just about there!) you might get a pretty good deal. Good luck,
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
For the price the winterforce or general altimax arctic are probably the best bet. Both of those can also be studded if you live in an area where it's allowed.

Hakka's are probably the absolute best overall though.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
12 Posts
I'm running the Xi2's myself down in Niagara and love them.
I've got them in 225/55-17 though...
Thanks for your feedback, storm coming our way this evening, will pick up the X-ice in a couple hours on black steel rims...though i wished i could have enjoyed the 17' alum longer, only 3rd day of ownership and will swap out nice alloys for winter steel..looking forward to April when i will put the alloys back on, wondering though if it's worth buying the subaru 16" wheel covers....do you have the steel wheels or alloys...?

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
I am running the WS-60 and they are good, very good, under the right conditions. This winter it has been rather warmer than usual, with a lot more slush and the WS's have a hard time pumping that stuff out. They work much better when its colder out, say -10c or so like it was last winter.

On the other hand, my wife is thrilled with her studded General Altimax Arctics on the Sienna. I may go for these or something like it next for the Forester as they seem to be a well balanced, all purpose winter tire.

Anyway, that's my impressions so far!

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,748 Posts
I bought a set of the General Altimax Arctic's yesterday at Canadian Tire. They are on sale this week for $124.49(regular $165.99):new_multi:. I had them mounted onto my steel winter rims. I'm hoping that I didn't jinx the weather by buying so soon, but whatever as I don't mind the snowy conditions:bananapowerslide:. I will post with my thoughts on the new snows when the time comes. I'm hoping they're much better than my Nordic Icetracks that I've had for the last 4 winters:icon_biggrin:. Now all I need to do is start looking for some Subaru alloy wheels to replace my steel wheels-they'll last 1, maybe 2 winters(rusting).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts