Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester, 2.5i Convenience
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rarely drive on forest roads (maybe 5 times a year), and sometimes they could be a bit rough. I have stock all season tires and it does not make sense for me to buy AT tires (right now) or have 5th full size spare, since I don't do it often.
I have separate winter tires on wheels. So I was wondering if it would make sense to use one of those as a full size spare? For those rare occasions, I would just put it in the trunk or on the roof as a backup. I would hope I don't damage both all season and winter tire at the same time (that would be a real bummer).
(Year 2017)

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Premium 6-speed manual
177 Posts
Yes, it would. If they are the same size as your stock all-season tires to prevent drive line problems.

As a side note, I run Continental ContiWinterContact™ TS 810 tires year round on the used 2009 MINI my wife drives to her office a few miles away from our home. I do so because it seldom sees anything other than 30 mph speed limit semi-rural two lane roads and local streets. They wear very well and I do not need to change the tires in the winter to handle my adopted New York state's abused and neglected roads.

·
Registered
2003 Forester AW Manual with low ratio
338 Posts
That's exactly what I do if heading out on a particularly long/ remote trip in the Impreza, take a winter wheel/ tyre in the boot instead of the space saver.
Never needed to use it yet, chances are that you won't need yours either, but better than nothing or than using the spacesaver wheel if needed. (The old forester has a full size spare)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts