Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT CVT
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for keeping your car looking shiny-new after a long, salty winter?

Main concern are the brake calipers.. This is my first car with visible disc brakes, want to keep that black rust and corrosion off of them..

Is there a coating or spray I can apply to them? Or is it just constant washing?

Sending it in for Rustproofing in a week or so, not sure if they do anything for them..

Any other tips for winter?

Thanks!
James

·
Registered
2010 Forester Touring
5 Posts
Do I need to undercoat??

I'm wondering if I should bother with getting my new 2010 undercoated or not?!! I live in Sudbury, Ontario and winter is brutal! up here. Salt is constantly being thrown and it's especially bad in the late winter early spring. Does anybody know if just keeping it clean will work to keep corrosion off or do I have to make a trip to Corrosion Free? I'm confused... help!

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,194 Posts
Rustproofing and undercoating are a bad idea (at least undercoating is). It traps moisture and will void your body rusting guarantee. "RustProofing" may also. You are far better off just washing to keep the salt off things. These things should go the wayof the 3000 mile oil change and the Doo-Doo Bird, Flowby, etc.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
Find a carwash you like and buy a discounted book of tickets for it. You want to wash the car occasionally in winter to get that salt off. The salt doesnt do much harm when the temp is below freezing, above freezing it reacts with moisture and eats away at everything. Keeping the disc brakes looking shiny new is a labor of love. Just wait till next summer and go at them with a bucket and a brush!
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
Odd, my X was delivered to me with the undercoating. The black gooey stuff in the wheel wells = undercoating?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts