Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 2.0 XT MT
67 Posts
It is really too bad, and heartbreakening to watch. I doubt if padding would have helped much at those speeds. The pillars shouldn't have been there. A wall might have saved the poor guy's life. I wonder what actions they will take before they open the track again.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
462 Posts
OMG that must be the 50/50 corner. This is going to be an interesting year on the bobsled track. They are saying the track this time is the fastest and most dangerous in history.

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,503 Posts
ugh. Why didn't they pad those pillars?
Georg Hackl who is a famous luger said it's very rare for someone to actually go off the track in this manner. He flew over a fairly tall concrete wall, so no one would have anticipated a need for padding there, unfortunately. It's a sad situation and underscores the danger of many of these sports which are designed to test the limits of human agility, endurance, and reflexes. :icon_sad:

·
Registered
09 XT
448 Posts
last turn before the finish, standing room only crowd on the inside of that corner and the grandstand faces the accident.

during competition there would have been a lot of first hand witnesses to this tragedy and likely some people standing right there.

in this pic we are looking at 14, 15 and 16

·
Registered
1998 Impreza RS/WRX
11 Posts
Im Very excited about the Olympics! It is a tragic accident. I cannot believe that some of the news networks were showing the accident in its entirety. It was very touching to watch the Georgians enter the opening ceremony to a standing ovation.

·
Registered
:(
495 Posts
I didn't even hear of it until I turned on the news channel and they showed the entire accident on the screen. How disrespectful to his family, and what bad taste for the channel to air that footage. No one should see that on the news. When I saw the structure he was flying through, I just can't believe the poor planning that went into it.

On a happy note. Watched Kearney shred teh moguls and win the first gold medal for US last night.. Woohooo!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts