Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 XT
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Skool me. I spend a weekend in 20degF with fog and my front window would collect Ice that the defrost could not keep up with. What was I doing wrong? Yes I was using the wiper defrost and the front window defrost. Rear defrost was not a problem.

So last weekend I was Grid Chief for the SCCA Rally Cross National Event in Fountian Colorada. I hotel'd in Pueblo and after defrosting the windshield by the time I traveled the 20 miles up I25 to the event the windshield was covered with Ice. I had the defrost on and the temp to high (yes it was way to hot in the cabin). It seemed the fog would collect on the glass and freeze before the wiper could scrape it off.

What was I doing wrong? I've traveled hours on I-80 w/o problems in the worst of winter. What is the best practice?

On Sunday 10/11 I went south from Pueblo and all the way to Raton I had to stop twice to reheat the windshield and melt the ice on the window.

Must be operator error:shrug:

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,212 Posts
Pour as much heat as possible through the defrost and operate the wipers sparingly.....like the slowest delay or even slower.

Failing that use outside air and get the inside of the car up to 90 F. Use the de-ice once in a while. Put operating the wipers as little as possible usually works.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
I just get tons of the really really low temp washer fluid and spray it until the windshield gets warm enough. The only time I've had a problem was in a major blizzard driving rochester-boston, had to stop every 30minutes to an hour to scrape down the whole front of the car (I drove 7pm to around 3 or 4 am, I would get over an inch of buildup on the lights and the entire hood, including the washer nozzles would just get completely covered and iced over), remind me never to do that again lol.

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
Skool me. I spend a weekend in 20degF with fog and my front window would collect Ice that the defrost could not keep up with. What was I doing wrong? Yes I was using the wiper defrost and the front window defrost. Rear defrost was not a problem.

So last weekend I was Grid Chief for the SCCA Rally Cross National Event in Fountian Colorada. I hotel'd in Pueblo and after defrosting the windshield by the time I traveled the 20 miles up I25 to the event the windshield was covered with Ice. I had the defrost on and the temp to high (yes it was way to hot in the cabin). It seemed the fog would collect on the glass and freeze before the wiper could scrape it off.

What was I doing wrong? I've traveled hours on I-80 w/o problems in the worst of winter. What is the best practice?

On Sunday 10/11 I went south from Pueblo and all the way to Raton I had to stop twice to reheat the windshield and melt the ice on the window.

Must be operator error:shrug:
Depending on the geographical location and ambient conditions, ice on the windshield won't melt. For example, in the interior of Alaska where I live, when it's very cold it does not matter how much warm air (from the defrost) the fan blows on the windshield if it's snowing. What I often do is to use the defrost when warming the motor before I drive the car, then just direct enough defrost air to the windshield to prevent fog (condensation inside the vehicle). When it's very cold, it does not matter how much hot air the fan blows on the interior surface of the windshield (inside the car), since the heat is not going to travel though the glass to warm the outside surface enough to melt the ice building on it. All it does is to remove the moisture that condenses on the windshield's surface inside the vehicle. I have a Ford truck, Honda Civic, and a Forester. It happens to all vehicles.

Sometimes it's best not to direct hot air to the windshield when driving. Depending on the ambient temperature, the hot air warms the windshield and any snow, or snow shower (a mixture of rain and snow), just melts and then freezes on the windshield forcing you to stop and scrape the ice off.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
In bad storm where the snow is dry, not wet and slushy, I leave the defrost off and let the wipers blow it off. When the window is farm it will melt and freeze.

Also, in bad storms where the snow is wet and frezzes on the car, is there a a product or a way to keep the drain basin at the bottom of the windshield clear? The wipers usally pack the slush in there that freezes and keep the wipers from working properly. Requires chisleing to clear.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
Well, you could always turn the hood scoop backwards, towards the windshield....some sort of ultra-defroster :biggrin:

But in my very few experiences on the matter, I've always just pulled over when the ice built-up and scraped it off when it needed to be done.

I'm not sure if coating the windscreen with Rain-X would do anything at all. The bugs stick a whole lot less, maybe ice too? (that's a COMPLETE shot in the dark by the way)

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
180 Posts
It usually is the wet/warmer snows that cause problems. So I use rain-x on the outside of the window, fog-x on the inside and only have issues during the absolute worst of storms. I also try not to use my defrost very much as it seems to make the problems worse sometimes.

·
Registered
2006 XT
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. Being prepared, which I was not, is a big part of it.

I left the Ice scrapper in Dallas.
My wipers were old crap.
I'm sure the wiper fluid was some summer stuff.
A crack in the front windshield made me hesitant to blast it with hot defrost air.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts