Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 BMW 130i Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came back to my car yesterday parked on the street and some brilliant driver has side swiped my passenger side wing mirror. Marvellous, just one on the joys of living in London!

The glass is gone and the painted cover as well. The while mirror frame is cracked and its even cracked the indicator lens. Must have hit it with some force.

Anyone have any recommendations of best place to source a replacement, or is it a main dealer job? Anyone know what the cost would likely be?

·
Registered
2008 BMW 130i Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet jesus, I hope i don't have to pay nearly £450 for a wing mirror!

That's ridiculous. The problem is that the main plastic frame is broken, although all the electrics still work fine (the mirrors still fold etc). I hope i can find some form of halfway house, its pretty poor if they make you buy an entirely new unit for each part that breaks.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,883 Posts
As you have the indicators in the wing mirrors I assume its a MY06.

Below shows the parts available.........

91039A - Mirror repair
91054E - cover - cap
84401D - Lamp assembly
91031A - Mirror assembly complete

·
Registered
2008 BMW 130i Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help.

Doesn't look positive as the actual frame of the mirror housing is missing a chunk. Unless I can get a new housing separately then it looks like I'm a bit stuffed!

I have to say that the plastic material that the wing mirror is made from is quite brittle and fragile - certainly nowhere near as solid as my old 3 series.

·
Registered
2008 BMW 130i Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 week on, I searched all over the globe for a wing mirror and finally looks like i might have found a second hand one on Ebay (although that was literally the only one in the world i found!!). Apparently has a very small crack, but reckon i can fix that and will need to respray the back from grey to black, but for a total cost of £55 i'm happy to take a punt.

I called Subaru HQ to give them grief and ask why a wing mirror costs £450 when exactly the same spec of part (with indicator, electrics power folding etc) costs only £150 for a VW or £200 for a Merc. In fact from what i have found, there is no manufacturer more expnsive this side of a porsche!

They were slightly embarrassed but just said that 'they come in from Japan and that's the price'.

I'd take that as a warning for everyone to keep their mirrors folded in if possible when parked up on the street!

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Wish the mirror and plastic 'housing' for the glas was listed for the SF5. Why the whole thing has to be replaced is frankly STUPID. I had exactly the same with an HR-V mirror, when I forgot to fold them in (the one time...). 357 quid last year was the quote.

Having said that, I just managed to bag a complete assembly for mine for 50 quid delivered, so I can't complain!

good luck with the hunt
mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts