Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 25X
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have an 04 Forester.

The windshield wiper switch has a button that makes the liquid spray onto the front windshield. After pressing it one day, the button got stuck, and it smelled like electrical burn. I opened the steering wheel box, and took the part out, and something shorted. Well, a week later after spending $100 on a new one, I installed it, and guess what? It did the same exact thing. Now I have undone the two wires that make the switch work so I can have wipers, but I would love to know why it has done it 2 times in 1 week, and never in the 6 years prior.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2009 & Jamboree Motorhome
347 Posts
Hey, I have an 04 Forester.

The windshield wiper switch has a button that makes the liquid spray onto the front windshield. After pressing it one day, the button got stuck, and it smelled like electrical burn. I opened the steering wheel box, and took the part out, and something shorted. Well, a week later after spending $100 on a new one, I installed it, and guess what? It did the same exact thing. Now I have undone the two wires that make the switch work so I can have wipers, but I would love to know why it has done it 2 times in 1 week, and never in the 6 years prior.

Thanks so much!
Real hard to tell with out seeing every thing.. But a good guess, is the wiper pump is shorted.. I would remove the windshield wiper bottle as it has the two pumps on it.. clean it inside then be sure the two pumps run.. You can do that with a couple wires from the battery.. If one is frozen up odds are thats the problem.. Replace the pump and be sure both are working fine.. Then try the two wires at the switch..

I have made a couple wires with an inline fuse and switch just for checking stuff like that.. Its simple and cheap to make.. You can hook it in where the switch goes and be sure all is fine before you install another new switch.. If it blowes the fuse then you will know what is not wrong.. And can go from there..

Snowdance

Flickr: snowdance38's Photostream

·
Registered
2009 & Jamboree Motorhome
347 Posts
I forgot to say.. Find the fuse for the wiper, washers and be sure some one did not replace it with higher amp one.. Lots of times when the wiper pump is starting to go it will blow the fuse.. Some one will put a higher amp fuse in place instead of fixing the problem.. That only leads to a switch that will burn out.. As you know..

Snowdance

Flickr: snowdance38's Photostream

1 - 3 of 3 Posts