Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for a thread concerning my problem but I have to be more specific, I guess.

The passenger side trim started coming off and waving in the breeze while on I-75 last week. Tucked it back in but can't get it to 'seat' in the groove.

Sooooo, any suggestions? Maybe I'll use some Gorilla Glue or black silicone to keep it in place. Dang, I've had this great little vehicle for almost 3 months now and it's my first problem.:icon_frown:

thanks, guys, in advance,
Rick

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
Just stop in at a glass shop, they can use some polyurethane glue or just tuck it back in(force fit type gaskets). They should do it for next to nothing if any thing at all.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
2,127 Posts
Thanks, silver. I'll try that.

Rick

I'm wondering why it came loose, however.
When it happened to me it was on my second windshield (replaced the original after it cracked, and I'm now on my third BTW :icon_rolleyes:). The odd thing is it was several months after it was replaced that the gasket came loose.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,272 Posts
When it happened to me it was on my second windshield (replaced the original after it cracked, and I'm now on my third BTW :icon_rolleyes:). The odd thing is it was several months after it was replaced that the gasket came loose.
Same deal here silverxt, I had my windscreen replaced and a couple of months later as I was cruising down the highway heading out for a game of golf.

The drivers side windscreen seal started flapping it's head off so I pulled into a service station and grabbed a roll of duck tape and stuck it down until the next day when I went back to the windscreen place and they re-glued it down FOC (Free of Charge) as they have 12mths Warranty on their repairs.

I'd recommend not using super glue as the next time you need a windscreen replaced you will be up for new rubber seals as well and we can all do without the added expense. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2015 Forester DXC manual
31 Posts
me too

seems to be a common thing - I had a broken windscreen replaced last December, and now, 4 months later, the passenger side rubber keeps flapping loose.
Closer inspection suggests that:
a. the rubber is held in place by a double-sided sticky foam gasket
b. when they replaced the windscreen they used too much sealant on the passenger side, so the rubber cannot seat fully into the edge of the screen and does not therefore stick.

Unfortunately the windscreen shop is 30+ miles away and though they would fix it, I'm guessing they'd just stick it down with some more sealant so I'll probably do the same to save the journey..

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,872 Posts
When I had the windshield replaced on my '07 FSXT, you can view my write up here, the rubber trim is installed onto the glass (just a friction fit) & the glass with the rubber trim is laid onto the sealant. This sets the glass as well as the rubber trim... if enough sealant was used.

I should note that most glass repair services don't replace the rubber trim... unless you insist it be replaced with new. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,909 Posts
... The passenger side trim started coming off and waving in the breeze while on I-75 last week. Tucked it back in but can't get it to 'seat' in the groove... Maybe I'll use some Gorilla Glue or black silicone to keep it in place...
The rubber gasket fits onto the edge of the glass, which is then installed into the body of the car. Evidently your windshield was replaced and the shop did not get the gasket properly slipped onto the edge of the windshield. Attempts to glue the loose rubber on top of the joint between glass and body will be useless. A glass shop may be able to tuck the gasket back around the edge of the glass.

I don't know the circumstances of your windshield replacement, but if the gasket is old, I would prefer my new windshield to be installed with a new rubber gasket.

·
Registered
2015 Forester DXC manual
31 Posts
Ah so the trick is to put the trim on BEFORE fitting the glass.

Trouble is that my installers didn't seem to have done it that way around. It's obvious that the trim was put on afterwards and double-sided foam tape used to stick it down.

I guess I will have to take it back if you think sticking it down won't work, although I can't see why a good dose of silicon seal wouldn't hold it down !

Subyru above mentions re-gluing, so maybe some installers do put the trim on afterwards

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,909 Posts
Ah so the trick is to put the trim on BEFORE fitting the glass. Trouble is that my installers didn't seem to have done it that way around. It's obvious that the trim was put on afterwards and double-sided foam tape used to stick it down...
I was wrong. After looking at the manual illustration, I see the rubber is put on afterward and is not a gasket or seal at all. The glass is laid onto an adhesive double-sided foam tape, which bonds it to the body and does the sealing.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,872 Posts
I'm going to say when a windshield is replaced, there's no way the installer is going to take the time to clean off all the old residue, if that's even possible, so just using the foam tape method will not hold. I've watched the windshield on 2 of my vehicles being replaced & the trim is installed on the glass "before" it's placed onto the preinstalled bead of sealant.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2015 Forester DXC manual
31 Posts
this way, or that way

I just called the windscreen installer - they agree the rubber is supposed to be fitted to the glass first, then the whole lot sealed onto the car body. The sealant is supposed to ooze out enough to hold the rubber in place once set.
Either the rubber moved, or not enough sealant was used.
They're coming out to check it under warranty, and may even have to fit yet another whole windscreen for the sake of a few pence worth of missing sealant.
At least it's coming from insurance so cost me nothing !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts