Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, my '05 FXT has a hair over 27,000 miles on it, and the windshield is pitted up somewhat. It's not noticable when I'm driving during the day, but at night whenever I go under a street light or traffic light the windshield becomes a mass of little colored dots. It also happens at sunset and sunrise if I'm facing the sun.

I thought it was just that it was really dirty, but I gave my car a full cleaning/waxing/detail last night and it's still there. There are a few places that you can feel it a little bit when you run your hand over it.

Just to be clear, it's not horrendous pitting, it's not noticable unless you look at the glass in a way that catches light on it. But when you do you can see thousands of these super tiny dots.

Is it normal for this to happen to a windshield at 27k, or is it worth going to the dealership to try to get it fixed?

Thanks,
Matthew

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
I guess it's a result of the environment you drive in (lots of sand/small rocks on the roads?). I've got almost 60k on Subed, and the windshield has held up fine with the exception of one rock chip that was filled in. I doubt that the dealership would warranty the windshield, as it doesn't seem to be a manufacturer's defect.

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ALICE has only been living up here in MN for about 8000 miles at this point. Just seems like it shouldn't happen quite so fast.

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^lol

Well, now on to the next question. does anyone know of a product that will get rid of very small pits on a windshield?

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,929 Posts
Funny that this topic came up. Every morning and evening commute, I stare thru a mildly sandblasted windshield, thanks to NJ highways (in my case, Rts. 78 and the Turnpike)......

Did you use a power applicator to remove the pits or buff by hand using Griot's Polishing Cloths???

I'm anxious to try this but the link doesn't imply that the polish will address anything but surface stains, not actial pits.

Look forward to your answer......I have no chips but myriads of tiny pinpoint pits, probably from sand and the like.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
26 Posts
Yeah, these NJ roads are great, huh? :)

Actually I had the same, lots of tiny pinpoint pits. As you noted the product description says it's primarily for surface stains but I figured I'd give it a try anyway. I used a microfiber towel to apply, then another clean microfiber towel to buff and used plenty of elbow grease for both steps. I was prepared to hit it with an orbital buffer for a second pass but the "by hand" results were good enough not to warrant it. I knew it worked well when my wife asked what I did to make the windshield so clear!

My Audi's windshield was worse and although the polish helped it's still fairly pitted. That one will probably require something more aggressive.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,929 Posts
Thanks for the reply!!! Where did you get the microfiber towels? Did you have any problems with swirl marks? What type of arm motion did you use when applying and buffing? Circular, up and down, etc???

I had given up on a clear windscreen until I read your post so THANKS!!!!!

Steve

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
26 Posts
I got the towels at BJ's, something like $12 for 25 of them. Great for all-purpose cleaning, drying the cars, buffing wax, etc. I tried to maintain a circular motion but since I'm only 5'4" it wasn't easy to maintain when I reached the center of the windshield. No swirl marks whatsoever, I was concerned about that at first and that's why I first went with a careful hand application. Next time I'll give it a go with an orbital.

Hopefully this works out for you as well as it did for me, it was definitely worth the relatively minor expense.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,929 Posts
Thanks so much for the advice!!!

Another example of the Forums members saving me.

See ya on Rt 78 if you're brave!!

Steve

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
26 Posts
Actually I'm on 78 daily, from 287 to Exit 44... I've got a black FXT but I've seen only one other on a fairly regular basis, and I know of at least one other silver S4 on the road when I am.

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts