Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 forester
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good ol subaru and their cheaply made thin windshields. went to work this morning and the windshield was fine. when i left i was driving home and noticed a crack about 8 or 9 inches in the bottom left corner of my windshield. i dont understand why they make those things so cheap and thin. but thank god i have a $50 deductible for my comprehension coverage!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,573 Posts
I have had serious ricks hit mine and bounce. I disagree with your assessment. Just bc its thinner (which I'm not so sure it is) doesn't mean its gonna crack or break easier.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Ltd
46 Posts
Seems to be the MY09+ that have this issue. I have friends with an 09 that are on their fourth(!) windshield already. First one broke in the first week of ownership. I've had no such issue with mine, knock wood, but I've heard of others (on this site, I think) who have.

·
Registered
2004 XT
58 Posts
I replace windshield all day long. I can't tell subaru a thinner then other. Since 198X' windshield are becoming thinner and thinner. I think they claim its for mpg(less weight), but it maybe more for cost purpose.
Windshield broke all most all the time for 2 reasons.
-rock chip. Around 3 inch of the edge, the windshield is really weak.
-rust, it push the glass and break it.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
10 Posts
My windshield was struck recently by an object. It chipped my windshield and left about a 1" lateral crack that was enough to prevent anyone from attempting to repair it. It was fine for a week. Then the crack became 8-9" long on either side of the chip. I'm just waiting for it to become obnoxious before I replace it now. Such is life...

·
Registered
2007 Forester auto
6 Posts
Looking at a 2007 Forester with a chip in the windshield that has been filled with some kind of epoxy. I am buying this car for my pregnant wife and want it to be the safest. How long will this patch last? Should I deduct from the asking price? Comments? Thanks you in advance!!!

·
Registered
2009 forester
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you are going to deduct money from the seller i want to say that the windsheilds are about 600-700

1 - 8 of 8 Posts