Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:icon_frown:

Was driving out west yesterday and got hit by a rock in the middle of the screen.

It made two match head sized chips in the screen dead center.

Is it worth getting these filled and if so has anyone got a recco in Northern Sydney ?

I also noticed after looking at the chips I have some fine scratches in the screen in my drivers side. OBriens say they can't egt them out as it ruins the glass. I wonder if they have always been there from the pre delivery ???

Obriens quoted $110 for the chips and $300 odd for a new screen

Damn ******** semi !! I wasn't even following close. Luckily there was no panel damage

·
Registered
2006 XTA
551 Posts
Bummer Candy.I suspect the Forester screens are pretty lightweight.
In my previous one a large crack appeared near the centre bottom when there was no one within half a kilometre of me! :confused: I think it was the aircon vent blowing about there, but Subaru said never been known to do that and the windscreen repair people said no reports about Foresters doing that.
Luckily, being a country boy I stuck with an insurance co. that still covers screens no exess (Western QBE) and got a new one.
Cheers :cool:

·
German tech
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't think it's worth getting a new screen - they are very small marks.

always worry about a new screen - have had one or two in my company cars and have ended up with scratches and the screen never fits as well

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Candy,

Doesn't just give you the irits when you get a new car:tempertantrum . Just after I got the 05 I was following a log truck at a very safe distance and got hit. The impact was so hard I almost soiled myself in fright:redface: , but it only left the tiniest mark, hardly noticable. After that I was pretty impressed at the strength of the windscreens. Unless it is really noticable, in viewing area (whilst driving) or cracked right through, just leave it.

One other thing to remember, if you replace the windscreen with a generic one, it won't have the Datadots (some might say who cares). My friends who bought my 04 XT got a huge crack in the windscreen and from memory the quote was almost double for a genuine Subaru windscreen with Datadots. As the insurance was paying I think they went genuine.

Simon

·
Casper reincarnated
2,246 Posts
I've had this one for 18mths and it has never bothered me except for the appearance factor.

·
Registered
06 XSL Automatic
382 Posts
Years ago I had the chips and small cracks on my uncle's Lexus fixed overseas. I'm not sure if Novus does this in Australia where they put some resin on the glass with some vacuum process. I think I saw the Novus name in an NRMA magazine some time back:
http://www.novusaust.net.au/service.htm

·
German tech
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Obriens could only fill mine, not actually make them disappear as they were so small and didn't actually go through the top layer.

Pitting (which is essentially what mine were) are difficult to deal with.

They aren't too bad. One day I'll get hit by a bigger rock and replace the screen

·
Casper reincarnated
2,246 Posts
Candy said:
Obriens could only fill mine, not actually make them disappear as they were so small and didn't actually go through the top layer.

Pitting (which is essentially what mine were) are difficult to deal with.

They aren't too bad. One day I'll get hit by a bigger rock and replace the screen
Come past my place making a heap of noise and I'll fix it for ya with a ball bearing :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Administrator
15,190 Posts
I had a "star" with 3 dings repaired yesterday by Novus. Doesn't completely disappear but is less noticeable and it's down near the windscreen wiper so no bother. $77 was the cost.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Basicly "chips" usually wont spread

If it has small cracks coming off of it.. then you'll have some problems
down the road

Usually insurance will pay for the repair at no cost to you, and it will not
count as a claim, but a new windshield, they told me is a different
situation

I feel your pain, the second day after buying a NEW windshield I went
past a truck in the other lane, and BAM.. i was so [edit type = strange aussie language] pissed off [/end strange translation]

Took it to the glass place and they said I dont need to fix them, they
wont spread

·
Administrator
15,190 Posts
SenorSubie said:
If it has small cracks coming off of it.. then you'll have some problems
Mine had small cracks. I think I've been lucky really with all the dirt and gravel roads I've driven. Already had one very small chip from the Cape York trip but not much else.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Kevin said:
Ummmm - we are in the Aussie section DN - are you pissed or something :lol:
Sorry - badly worded - I meant more of "if you post here".

And no Im not pissed. Cant even remember the last time I was (not because its so often Im forgetting things!)

·
Casper reincarnated
2,246 Posts
1_hung_low said:
Are you sure you are not part of the mob? looks like a stray gunshot to me :Banane36:
I must be a BIG baddy to have use a .50cal to take me out :Banane01:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Driving over the Central Highlands through the Lakes Highway over Easter and got my first (unwarranted) chip in the windscreen. We were on gravel (swept tyre tracks with loose stuff in between) and I had just passed a Prado giving him a very wide birth. I was sitting on ~100km/hr and the next thing I know I can see this Landcruiser bearing down on me at great speed from a distance. He catches me shortly afterwards at which point I realise it is a Police car, he flashes (headlights) and indicates to go past, no problems. The f*$ker then cuts in front of me within ~10m of the front of the XT. I'm doing ~100, he's doing at least 110-120 and you can imagine the result of those big offroad tyres crossing the loose gravel, I could just hear the shower of rocks on the front of the car and was lucky to only get a minor chip. The road was long, open and straight allowing the passee (is that a word?) to stay on the opposite side for a long period of time before pulling back in, his efforts was not only inconsiderate but dangerous.

I pulled into the Police station a few km's down the road not long after him and thanked him for the rock shower and suggested he not cut in on cars like that. I got a reply along the lines of, it's a fact of life on gravel roads, I get chips in my windscreen all the time....... he finally apologised. Getting hit by rocks is unavoidable in some cases, but slowing down for on coming traffic and passing widely (when safe) on gravel can greatly reduce the chance of being hit or hitting others. I spend a great deal of time on gravel roads with work and a little bit of courtesy goes a long way to protecting your car and others and being safe.

I feel cleansed now:biggrin:

Simon

·
German tech
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Simon

Where was the chip ? Deep enough to get fixed ? Mine are a PITA. Too shallow to repair and enough to be annoying.

Sorry to hear about the incident mate. The Cop sounds like a tosser. Not an easy situation.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Candy said:
Simon

Where was the chip ? Deep enough to get fixed ? Mine are a PITA. Too shallow to repair and enough to be annoying.

Sorry to hear about the incident mate. The Cop sounds like a tosser. Not an easy situation.
The chip (luckily) was in the centre of the windscreen about 1/3 of the way up. well out of 'annoyance zone'. It's just deep enough to leave a permanent mark like a bug splatter, nothing to be concerned about (in terms of windscreen structural integrity).

I said to my brother just as we pulled up at the Police station "...against my better judgement I'm going to say something to him about it..." Played it cool and politely (despite the inferno inside of me), I felt the need to say something.

Simon

·
Registered
653 Posts
SD1976 said:
The chip (luckily) was in the centre of the windscreen about 1/3 of the way up. well out of 'annoyance zone'. It's just deep enough to leave a permanent mark like a bug splatter, nothing to be concerned about (in terms of windscreen structural integrity).

I said to my brother just as we pulled up at the Police station "...against my better judgement I'm going to say something to him about it..." Played it cool and politely (despite the inferno inside of me), I felt the need to say something.

Simon
Good on you mate.If you'd done it to a cop he'd have acted like you were a murderer(well most of them anyway).Did a lot of gravel on our trip round Oz in 04 and agree with your safer driving tips.
Maximus

1 - 20 of 20 Posts