Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
08 2.5x
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting my windows tinted. Is there any thing special you have to use the clean the inside of the windows? And how long will it last?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
Make sure that the cleaner does NOT have amonia in it. Windex makes a cleaner safe for window tint. A microfiber towel helps too.
A good quality brand of tint will last longer than you will own the car.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make sure that the cleaner does NOT have amonia in it. Windex makes a cleaner safe for window tint. A microfiber towel helps too.
A good quality brand of tint will last longer than you will own the car.

Cool thanx. This will be the first time having windows tinted. I'm thinking about having the back ones blacked out and the rivers doors made legal. I just don't know if it would look right. So It might get all of them state legal.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
Cool thanx. This will be the first time having windows tinted. I'm thinking about having the back ones blacked out and the rivers doors made legal. I just don't know if it would look right. So It might get all of them state legal.
I went 20% all around and love it. My tint guy said they don't really enforce tint laws in Colorado. Send me a PM if you want the name of a good shop in Ft. Collins. I haven't had to use anything harsher than a microfiber towel to clean it.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went 20% all around and love it. My tint guy said they don't really enforce tint laws in Colorado. Send me a PM if you want the name of a good shop in Ft. Collins. I haven't had to use anything harsher than a microfiber towel to clean it.
PM sent

·
Premium Member
98 GM67 + 03 SG
357 Posts
Stoner Invisible Glass glass cleaner and crumpled newspaper works best for me. My tint shop recommends the Stoner brand for any of their tint applications. I've had zero issues with it.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx guys.

One more do you have any trouble seeing out the windows at night? Like backing out of a parking space in a parking lot.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
One more do you have any trouble seeing out the windows at night? Like backing out of a parking space in a parking lot.
At 20%, I have a little trouble if it's completely dark outside. If there are street lights, or something for the reverse lights to bounce off of, I don't really have a problem. You should be fine in town, but if you like to drive in reverse out in the country you might have to roll down your window.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At 20%, I have a little trouble if it's completely dark outside. If there are street lights, or something for the reverse lights to bounce off of, I don't really have a problem. You should be fine in town, but if you like to drive in reverse out in the country you might have to roll down your window.
LOL thanx. No I don't drive around in reverse. I guess it cant be any worse then it is now. Every time I park some A hole in a big SUV parks right next to me any I cant see crap any way. Half the time around here I'm backing out praying no one hits me.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
I have 5% on the back 5 and 30% on the front 2. The only time I have trouble is backing out of my fiance's parents house because it's a very dark long driveway. In those cases I just roll down a window and use the side mirror. Other than that no visibility issues, you'll love your tint the first time you get in front of an idiot with his highbeams on or when the sun starts coming up in the morning on your drive to work.

·
Registered
2018 XT Touring CVT
1,294 Posts
I wanted to be legal (MN) on the front doors, and have all the windows look the same, so I went 50% all around. I had 2 cars done that way before.
50% will give you no privacy, but it does reduce the heat gain, and it is all you need to cut light glare from the back and side.
If I lived in CO, where 35% is legal in front, I would have used that. I would not have gone darker even if it was legal.
I went 20% on the sunroof, and glad I did.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wanted to be legal (MN) on the front doors, and have all the windows look the same, so I went 50% all around. I had 2 cars done that way before.
50% will give you no privacy, but it does reduce the heat gain, and it is all you need to cut light glare from the back and side.
If I lived in CO, where 35% is legal in front, I would have used that. I would not have gone darker even if it was legal.
I went 20% on the sunroof, and glad I did.

I'm still thinking I will do 35% all the way around. I just want it all to look the same. I start my new job Monday so I need a few weeks before I do it. I love the look of a silver forester with black windows and wheels.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts