Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester X Auto
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an 04 X from subaru dealer. I noticed some wind noise coming from both sides of the winshield (sounds like when you have a window open for an inch). It appears between 30-80 mph but not every time (depends on direction of the wind).

I know that the dealer replaced the windshield with oem non subaru part just before selling.

When I mentioned it to the dealer they said that the "glass" guy isn't here, it's not under warranty and bla bla bla.

I have no idea how to fix that problem :shake: any ideas ?

·
Registered
2002 S Turbo Auto (SF)
8 Posts
Windscreen noise

I had this problem on two occasions after my Forester windscreen was replaced.

The cause is misalignment of the windscreen probably caused by too much adhesive. This pushes the windscreen outwards which prevents some or all of the side clips from clipping onto the pillar. If your side trims do not fit tightly onto the windscreen, this is probably your problem.

You can demonstrate the problem by pulling the side trim off (it is easy to get back on again), removing one of the clips from the trim and seeing whether this clip can be clipped tightly at all three clipping points on each side of the the windscreen. A small flap on the clip should sit tightly onto of the windscreen. Screen misalignment may make the gap between screen and pillar too large so that the flap cannot reach the windscreen, or the windscreen may be raised preventing the clip from clipping at all.

When they have installed a windscreen incorrectly like this, windscreen fitters will come up with all kinds of excuses including, "The car must have been in an accident and distorted the windscreen opening", "When a windscreen is replaced, the clips must be glued in", "The clips are the wrong ones", "If the trim is too tight it will break the glass", "The trim didn't fit when you brought it in to the workshop". This is all nonsense. The windscreen needs to be removed and refitted properly. The clips do not need to be glued.

·
Registered
2009 & Jamboree Motorhome
347 Posts
Just bought an 04 X from subaru dealer. I noticed some wind noise coming from both sides of the winshield (sounds like when you have a window open for an inch). It appears between 30-80 mph but not every time (depends on direction of the wind).

I know that the dealer replaced the windshield with oem non subaru part just before selling.

When I mentioned it to the dealer they said that the "glass" guy isn't here, it's not under warranty and bla bla bla.

I have no idea how to fix that problem :shake: any ideas ?

As some one said some tubing in the rubber around the side window glass will quite the noise around the doors.. But one big thing that will stay is the noise from the mirrors.. Its far worse on the new Forester.. Infact our 01 is quiter than our 09..

Snowdance

Flickr: snowdance38's Photostream

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
not sure if you are hearing the windshield but instead the dreaded "gusset spread" Seriously,

search "gusset" on this forum and there are a bunch of threads from members about solutions. It's that area near where tweeter's are installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts