Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever put a winch on their forester?

How about a winch and some hellas?

I'm looking to add a little more utility to my SF.
Any suggestions would be great.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see that. Very nice!

I know I'm adding a hitch and getting a trailer as I just can't quite fit sheets of drywall in the forester, but thought a winch would fun too.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now thats cool. However I'm wondering if putting an addition 50lbs on the front is a bad idea.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
rsk135 said:
Now thats cool. However I'm wondering if putting an addition 50lbs on the front is a bad idea.
If you've got the SubaXtreme Bullbar or Off road Bar I'd bet that it would be no problem with the extra weight..

I wonder if there's a spot that can be fabricated for a winch on a subaxtreme bumper

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5X
63 Posts
I agree with the front-end weight concern. I had an 1981 Toyota 4X4 truck that I added a Warn brush guard and 6000lb winch to. The extra weight ruined the front suspension over time. I suggest getting a removable mounting system then you can take the winch off when not in use to save the front end, keep the winch from long-term exposure to weather, less tempting target for theives and save a little gas pushing that extra weight down the road.
I'm looking for a Hella light mounting solution myself. I am getting a towbar mount installed on the front (for towing behind the RV) and was considering adding mounting brackets for some Hellas.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Did anyone finally put a winch on his Forrester? The total weight including mounting kit etc. seems to be drastic. 37kg of winch plus some 12kg of mounting kit for the Taubenreuther winch sounds close to 100lb or 50kg, I wonder what this is going to do to road-worthiness? I'd be slightly worried going around a corner in slippery conditions with that much extra weight up front. Should bring an uncalculable amount of oversteer. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
A better method is to keep the winch stored in the vehicle, and to have mounts for it at the front and the rear. I haven't seen it done on a Forester yet though.

·
Registered
04XT Forester 4EAT
36 Posts
Warn Industries has a portable winch and a quick mount that goes into a tow bar. Doesn't seem to be too heavy, and with a little rigging it is possible to attach a receiver to the front also. This would allow you to use the winch front and rear, then pull it off and put it back into the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts