Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the never ending stream of issues I've had with this computer...

I keep getting a "save permission" error in Win7.

I have full administrative privileges (I'm the only user), and yet when I try to save anything I get a "you do not have permission to save to this folder" or something. It tells me to contact an administrator to fix the issue.

What gives?

On another semi-related note, Dell is replacing my laptop. It's got an odd wobble/instability problem that they can't figure out. Since you can get a Dell in one of twelve-million configurations, is there a quick and easy way for me to tell if it's got the same stuff as my current computer? CPU and RAM are easy, but what about the display (mine has the expensive WLED option, vs the standard backlit LCD option), and graphics card?

I do a LOT of number crunching, so the graphics card specifically is quite important (all FEA and Numerical Analysis programs utilize the graphics card to get things done. They operate solely through the use of matrix math which, coincidentally, is exactly how a graphics card works).

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,683 Posts
Yeah I havn't quite figured out why if you are the only use that you still don't have full permissions, you might have to goto the root folder and right click and press open as an admin or something like that. Right clicking usually will get you what you want.

As for your PC stats, there are many programs that do this but I use CPU-z, it's fairly straight forward.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
If you right click on my computer and select properties it will tell you the processor and memory in your pc.. :Banane37:

You might be able to edit you privileges in the control panel under.. Administrative Tools/Local Security Policy/Local Policies

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
What folder are you trying to save into? Or is it any folder? Does it happen mostly when you are trying to save files from the internet using IE8? Or are we talking about a simple drag and drop move? Either way, it's the darn UAC I bet. If you're trying to save under IE8 or any other program, don't double click to start the program but right click and use "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR." Then go along business as usual and then try saving.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I'm sure there is a way to do it but I cannot find it, is there any way to designate certain programs to ALWAYS run as admin so I don't hafta right click my commonly used programs that require it?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Disable and Turnoff UAC in Windows 7 from Control Panel

1. Access User Control Panel from Start Menu -> Control Panel -> User Accounts and Family Safety -> User Account

2. Click on

User Account Control settings link.

3. Move the Slider to Never Notify

4. Click OK to make the change effective

5. Reboot.

That's what I do haha. Personal computer doesn't need UAC.. work computer does; HOWEVER, if you have kids or people who tend to like to open random executables, I suggest just toning UAC down a notch OR just set them on a UAC controlled account and yours UAC free.

At the W7 seminar last week, they asked us "who disables their UAC?" and I waved my hand enthusiastically. LOL I hate it.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Well I wanted to leave it enabled so if something tries executing externally I would know. My question was just for selective programs, not opening my system up to self executables. I played with that slider and it doesn't give you much options...

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Yeah UAC is broken-ish. I think selective UAC is done under the executible's properties.. meaning right click exe, properties, compatibility, always run as admin. BUT I've tried this before.. and it still did the UAC prompt.. so I got pissed and turned UAC off.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Yeah I checked that also, no effect. Especially annoying for programs I want to run on start up that require admin status.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts