Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just in case anyone was wondering...
i had some wilwood 4pot brakes from a 2002 wrx on the 2.5RS and since the buildup for that will take some time i thought id swap them on my 04 XT. they fit 16x6.5 rims. just in case someone wanted to know...

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
Using the stock FXT rotors?

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
IIRC, they'll work just fine with the stock sized rotors. I *think* you might even be able to keep the OEM caliper carriers, but I could be wrong.

I know the racingbrake 4-pot front kit comes with new carriers (it, too, is designed to fit under 16" wheels) so that would speak against re-using OEM.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm using a slotted/drilled pair of rotors that were on my 2.5RS but i checked them against my XT's rotors and they were the same size.

these wilwoods have caliper carriers(if by "caliper carriers" you mean brackets/extensions). these 4-pots would not fit without them.

anyway, nice temporary upgrade...

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,306 Posts
pics and prices please :D

sounds like a great alternative to subaru 4 pots if the price is right...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i cant get pics in until saturday. sorry but it's hectic at work now so i get home very late...

as for the price, i paid about $640 a year and a half ago...
i'm very happy with the stopping power so $640 is a good deal.

i would love, however to see a comparison between 4-pots: wilwood,subaru,stoptech,racingbrake,brembo, etc...
my guess is that stoptechs and brembos will come out on top but one never knows...

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
I figure there are three major components to stopping power:

1) Pad Compound
2) Pad area
3) Force with which caliper can clamp down

I'd assume #3 is going to be fairly constant, since it is likely a product of the hydraulic (sp??) pressure created by the brake booster. I really doubt you can find identical pads to use on all of those different caliper types.

It would be pretty cool, though. My bias is the same as yours, that the fancy, big-name setups would work the best... but that being said, it's probably like buying CK underwear. :D

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry it has taken me so long to get back...

oh, and by the way, i checked my receipt and i paid $599 for the wilwoods...
first couple of pics are with some subaru ones 16x6.5(from what model i dont know) to show clearance compared to the XT rims... well actually, thanks to my crappy pic taking you cant tell that well but the XT rims have much more clearance then the other 16x6.5s.

CRAP! after writing this i realized that i cant post attachments! out of order i guess(said so in members gallery") i'll post pics as soon as i can...

·
Fear the Gorilla!
181 Posts
OK where did you get the WILWOODS?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i tried but it didnt work. i think that they have to be a certain size to work. my pics are to big. since i'm somewhat computer stupid i will stay at my pc tonight until i figure out how to resize(if possible) and post.

·
Fear the Gorilla!
181 Posts

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
Hmm, interesting... my brakes SUCK so now I have to debate on if I want to spend $600 to test these puppies. What kind of brake fluid are you using?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
using ATE Super Blue. okay, couldnt figure out how to resize properly so i'm asking Eclipse for help with that so i'm hope that some pics would come up by this afternoon...

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
I thought one of the downsides to the Wilwoods was that it didn't have some kind of dust boots or something ?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
wilwood 4 pot pics

Thanks for the wait. thanks to my wonderful wife these pics are up. Eclipse and mikebike357 thanks for the offer. mikebike357 and i have been struggling to get these up but i was of no help...
my wife started playing with the pics and got them done.

Attachments

·
Fear the Gorilla!
181 Posts
The icing on the cake are these 2 options for the STI and Outback Master Cylinders. This will make a nice firm pedal with alot less travel.
26401AC191 - $139.00
26401AE03A - $123.00

If you are interested in the MC give my lady Jackie a call at:
Annapolis Subaru
443-837-1422

Tell her GTP from the forum sent you!!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts