Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get Brembo very easy in Singapore... about US1500. Unfortunately I would have to upgrade to 17" rims.

I can buy from the US Willowood 12" which will fit under my 16" stock rims for about USD799.00 with about USD250 shipping.

I am curious if anyone has an opinion on either option?

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
id go w/ the wildwoods just for the shear lower cost involved. you wont have to swap wheels and im sure the difference between the too is minimal if @ all...

b4 you go bbk, have you considered just upgrading your brake pads/rotors/lines/fluid first?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers. I'm going to have to look around more... does anyone have an opinion on swapping in WRX rotors and calipers? I can get ex JDM ones from Australia (front cut imports) for about US500 but I have a suspicion I need 17" rims?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
I'd do Brembo's. OEM reliability can't be beat. I haven't had much personal luck with Willwood, but many have and my experiences are a few years old.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
Having rode in a forester with wilwoods, I will say they are amazing! Im actually thinking of getting brembos for the bling factor. The wilwood 6 piston fronts are sweet and compact compared to a brembo 4 piston caliper.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im not sure his is an 07, but its a 06-08 for sure. LOL.

It's an 07 XT 4EAT. I've had a look at the wheels and honestly any decent brake upgrade is going to require bigger rims I think. At the moment I am thinking of getting some second hand WRX 4 pots from Japanwhole sale in Perth. They are the cheapest option.

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,659 Posts
Having an 07 auto, I have not seen a MC what will work with my set up. I need to research the LGT mc to see if it is an upgrade and if it will fit.
I have an 04 4eat, and have no issues with the STI m/c. Did something change with the 4eats between years? IIRC, my mc and booster was way easier to install, compared to Brad's manual 07...

Back to the OP, get some Brembo's....coming off a 6 yr old car, you should be able to find an affordable set.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the 4-pots honestly. One major benefit of BBKs is the increase in disc diameter. The 4pots use the same rotor you have now.
I totally agree, which is why I went with LGT brakes.

I have an 04 4eat, and have no issues with the STI m/c. Did something change with the 4eats between years? IIRC, my mc and booster was way easier to install, compared to Brad's manual 07...

AFAIK, the 07 auto will not accept a STI MC.

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT '05 6mt r180 Carbonetics 1.5w lsd
1,093 Posts
If you are going to daily drive the car, you should be aware that the Wilwoods are for off road use only, for the record. These brakes don't have the typical rubber seals that oem brakes like Brembos have, which could make them more susceptible to the elements like salt and water.

I've run Wilwoods in my car for several years with no problem and I've driven in rain, but I don't really drive in the winter. Although, many people who run Wilwoods have run them year round without problems.

The Wilwoods are also lighter than the Brembos and they come with two-piece rotors and stainless steel lines.

I don't like the Brembos, but for overall reliability they're still hard to beat.

Good luck, it's a tough choice.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,212 Posts
If you are going to daily drive the car, you should be aware that the Wilwoods are for off road use only, for the record.
I don't think this true any longer. The old lightweight Dynalite Wilwoods were for drag and were definitely not for street use and definitely weren't an upgrade as far as braking capabilities are concerned. That being said, talk to a real brake supplier like TCE to make sure you are getting the right calipers and kit for your needs.

As usual, if you aren't driving your car at the track they're just bling...

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
I don't think this true any longer. The old lightweight Wilwoods were for drag and were definitely not for street use or anything else for that matter.
I heard (a long long time ago) that Wilwoods did not have dust seals which caused them to need rebuild much more often than other calipers. Is that still the case (if it was ever true)?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts