Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
492 Posts
If you add an aftermarket item that was not installed on your vehicle from the Factory it is most definitely going to cause a warranty issue..

This was originally posted on the CVT temp thread where an additional CVT cooler was installed. The original post got into discussions about voiding the warranty by adding the CVT cooler. Someone got mad and the admins moved the comments about warranty issue here.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i CVT Sold for 2018 Toyota Tacoma. Subaru simply not for towing.
25 Posts
That's going to be some disappointing news to all the owners with cars still under warranty who do their own maintenance and work using aftermarket items like Mobil-1 oil, or Amsoil engine and transmission fluids, Prestone coolant, Fram oil and air filters, Brembo brake pads, etc., OR, if they should bring their car to an aftermarket service facility that uses other than genuine Subaru OEM parts and fluids.

I went to my local Subaru dealer who does all the maintenance on my Forester and discussed this with the service manager and lead technician and was told it would not void the warranty.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i
8 Posts
Not to say that, if there was a problem because of the modification, the dealer may decide to help you out, but just FYI the warranty says different.

From page 7 of my warranty booklet:
"Damage or Malfunction Due to Improper Repair
or Unauthorized Parts
These warranties do not cover any part which malfunctions, fails or is
damaged due to any unauthorized alteration or modification made to the
vehicle such as the removal of parts or the installation of parts, equipment
or accessories or improper repairs or adjustments not approved or
recommended by SOA"

"Damage Caused by a Non-Covered,
Unauthorized Part
These warranties do not cover damage to a covered component
directly caused by the failure of a non-covered part, accessory
or occurrence of event"

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Taken from the Federal Trade Commission's Consumer Information page:

"Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?

No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage."

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
492 Posts
Sure take their advice. I'm not talking about fluids, brakes or filters. If you installed a part that was not original and never on you vehicle from the factory. It most certainly will cause warranty issues if that part was determined to be a cause of failure. Again good luck.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i CVT Sold for 2018 Toyota Tacoma. Subaru simply not for towing.
25 Posts
y0d40n3

Yup, and in my 2018 owners manual p 8-19 it also states that Subaru warranties do not apply to vehicle damage caused by trailer towing. I intend on towing a trailer too.

Yet Subaru advertises towing as a selling point and tells you how to do it, what the limits are, etc.

They key to all the warranty issues are if you do something to cause the damage. They have to show that what you did caused it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Taken from the Federal Trade Commission's Consumer Information page:

"Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?

No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage."
I agree. And this is part of the reason why the law was passed because otherwise these companies would shackle owners to only using their OEM parts and supplies at expensive prices and then deny claims for those who did not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sure take there advice. I'm not talking about fluids, brakes or filters. If you installed a part that was not original and never on you vehicle from the factory. It most certainly will cause warranty issues if that part was determined to be a cause of failure. Again good luck.
I agree. That part would have to be determined to be the cause of the failure. Good luck to you too!

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
492 Posts
When not if your CVT takes a dump you can be rest assured that Subaru will determine that the part you installed is the problem. Then you are stuck paying $8k for a new CVT or are without a working vehicle while you argue with SOA.

I don't need luck as my XT is not altered. Thanks for your concern.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sure take their advice. I'm not talking about fluids, brakes or filters. If you installed a part that was not original and never on you vehicle from the factory. It most certainly will cause warranty issues if that part was determined to be a cause of failure. Again good luck.
I'm not talking about ONLY fluids and filters either. I can legally put any tire, any wheel, brake caliper, suspension system, fuel pump, oil cooler, aftermarket spark plug, stereo, radar detector, extra sound dampening, add an aftermarket sunroof, anything. As long as the new or added part doesn't directly cause the failure, its all good.

In a nutshell:
SoA has to show specifically how and why the CVT cooler caused the CVT to fail, it isn't enough to say, "Well that's not as it was delivered from the factory, so it must have caused the failure."

I work for a vehicle manufacturer and work very closely with our warranty department. We only deny warranty claims when it is clear an obvious that misuse or neglect caused the damage. The burnden of proof is on the OEMs to show part X caused failure Y.

They key to all the warranty issues are if you do something to cause the damage. They have to show that what you did caused it.
Exactly.

When not if your CVT takes a dump you can be rest assured that Subaru will determine that the part you installed is the problem. Then you are stuck paying $8k for a new CVT or are without a working vehicle while you argue with SOA.

I don't need luck as my XT is not altered. Thanks for your concern.
I got into this industry partly to prevent being fleeced by mechanics. I understand the law as well as my rights. I also have a pretty firm grasp of automotive design and repair, so a dealership or SoA would have a hard time denying a warranty claim against me. YMMV...

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
When not if your CVT takes a dump you can be rest assured that Subaru will determine that the part you installed is the problem. Then you are stuck paying $8k for a new CVT or are without a working vehicle while you argue with SOA. . . <snip>
Maybe, but probably not. You're assuming a bit of bad faith on the part of Subaru. In a given situation, it might happen. As for timing, dealerships understand that you're out the vehicle. Unless a claim matter is super complicated, it should get resolved in a few days.

Most car dealerships and zone managers live in the real world. If it's clear that the part you installed failed or caused a problem, well okay. But if it's unclear (or impossible to determine), most dealers just honor the claim. If there's a real question, they can kick it up to SOA's technical department. I've seen dealerships replace parts or do repairs which probably weren't under warranty or which they might have a reason to disclaim, but they did it anyway as a customer relations matter.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium
1,308 Posts
That will only happen if you modified the CVT system buy adding aftermarket cooler, Tuner, etc. that changes anything from how the CVT system was installed or operates from the factory.

My CVT was replaced twice and I had an aftermarket exhaust and BRZ wheels with 1-inch wheel spacers. No issues getting it replaced both times since neither of those caused the the CVT failure. I even got a free 7yr/100k Gold plus warranty out of it. :smile2:

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
492 Posts
The CVT cooler was not a factory installed item therefore you have modified the system. The warranty info clearly states this will void the warranty. It's in writing with every vehicle Subaru sells.

From page 7 of my warranty booklet:
"Damage or Malfunction Due to Improper Repair
or Unauthorized Parts
These warranties do not cover any part which malfunctions, fails or is
damaged due to any unauthorized alteration or modification made to the
vehicle such as the removal of parts or the installation of parts, equipment
or accessories or improper repairs or adjustments not approved or
recommended by SOA"

·
Registered
25 Posts
That will only happen if you modified the CVT system buy adding aftermarket cooler, Tuner, etc. that changes anything from how the CVT system was installed or operates from the factory.

My CVT was replaced twice and I had an aftermarket exhaust and BRZ wheels with 1-inch wheel spacers. No issues getting it replaced both times since neither of those caused the the CVT failure. I even got a free 7yr/100k Gold plus warranty out of it. :smile2:
Seanyd78 - That's interesting, you have had your CVT replaced twice. (Sorry to hear that.) Is this on the 2015 in your profile? I'm lucky I guess I have never had a major warranty problem on any vehicle I have ever owned. Just recall repairs. I have had three Subarus and several Toyotas.

Can you share please, if you know, exactly what parts caused the CVTs to fail? I ask because I see the history with Subaru CVT "failures", the class action lawsuit etc., and have been trying to find out which parts are actually causing the CVTs to fail. Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium
1,308 Posts
Seanyd78 - That's interesting, you have had your CVT replaced twice. (Sorry to hear that.) Is this on the 2015 in your profile? I'm lucky I guess I have never had a major warranty problem on any vehicle I have ever owned. Just recall repairs. I have had three Subarus and several Toyotas.

Can you share please, if you know, exactly what parts caused the CVTs to fail? I ask because I see the history with Subaru CVT "failures", the class action lawsuit etc., and have been trying to find out which parts are actually causing the CVTs to fail. Thanks!
Not sure what failed. The second one went within a few months of the first, around 19k and 23k. I now have 46k and it has been good. The CVT was only 2 out of the 14 times my Forester has had to have stuff repaired under warranty. The only reason my faith was restored in Subaru is because my wife's 15 XV Crosstrek has been excellent with zero issues.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow, ok, thanks. To be clear, you have had 14 warranty claims on the same vehicle? They are very lucky to have you as a satisfied owner. I think I would have moved on to another brand, but I have heard of some cars like that. At least they fixed it for you without issue, that says a lot. I know a few people, one with a Nissan Maxima and one with a Dodge truck, both had to fight and use lemon laws to get the issues resolved.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
The CVT cooler was not a factory installed item therefore you have modified the system. The warranty info clearly states ... <snip>
This is only half of the issue. The modification would have to cause or contribute to the failure. For example, maybe the CVT cooler leaked fluid and the CVT ran dry. Or, maybe the cooler caused the CVT fluid to become contaminated. Or, maybe the cooler became blocked and stopped the fluid from circulating. And, AND, the warranty-voiding dealer can demonstrate this.

The mere addition of some part is not enough to void the warranty. There must also be be some link of causation to the failure you experience. It is/was popular to add an oil cooler to some engines. Some car makers even sell optional oil coolers and/or ATF coolers with their trailer hauling package. Oil coolers, whether for the engine, AT or CVT, are not inherently bad things. If a dealer/maker decides to void your warranty for this reason, there needs to be some fairly obvious causation between the failure you experience and the part you install. At least for oil/ATF coolers, that may be a heavy lift.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,471 Posts
It's time to close this one. All the major points have been made.

Nothing you do will "void the (entire) warranty".

Anything that you do which affects something that would otherwise be covered will invalidate its coverage.

If the problem doesn't involve anything you did, then it's covered.

The weirder the problem, the harder you might have to try to defend your position.

Keep good records.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.